1986 Mustang GT Convertible

I have an idle that is right around 1300 RPM. The only thing I have done so far is change the IAC valve. Nothing. Still at 1300 RPM. It's an automatic with 71000 miles. You can eat off the engine. Extreme care has been given except for a few burnouts from previous owner. Anyone has any advice, I am all ears. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome to stangnet, in the technical - how to thread in the tech forums you will find a list of stuff, look for the surging idle checklist, I know you don't have a surging idle but it will show you the proper way to diagnose your problem, sounds like you got nice ride, lets see some pics!
here is a link to the checklist:http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=698148

I have great news. I fixed the idle without a single tool. I remember hearing about Adaptive Strategy. I had an 89 Country Squire and a mechanic in Naples Florida used that on my Country Squire. I had a low idle after a battery had been installed and Adaptive Strategy is about relearning the computer. I figured if it worked for a low idle it should work on a high idle. Google Adaptive Strategy Ford Idle and the procedure will come right up. It is getting your car up to operating temperature, turn on all accessories, not just AC. Put in drive for one minute with brake on. Then let idle in park one minute after. Take for a ride. You may have to repeat after letting car sit and cool. I did a second time and it worked. My idle is now 800 to 750 and back to 850. It was close to 1700. A little bit of surging there but I can live with that seeing the system is 33 years old now. Did not want to sick a mechanic on my car with a wiring diagram. This is monumental. Hope it works for anyone having the same issue. Good Luck.

I just call it 'a computer reset', easier to spell!
i swap my battery on my stang several times and it's like the car is all pizzed off for a while, I drive it around for a bit and it settles down.
you have to do that when you change certain things.