1987/93 ford police cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwatts

Jul 7, 2015
All ford police cars, mustang or crown vic, were speed density cars with a extra microcomputer computer unit to control fuel to air mixture. Part # e8af12a561ab. This part# was used all the way through 1993.it was mounted on the fender inter liner. This gave higher HP and better all a round engine performance. Forunner to maf.

• Sponsors (?)

Why start a thread to make a statement? Especially one so easily disproved.

My future threads:

Today is Wednesday.
I like pie.
Water is currently wet.

Reactions: 1 user
All ford police cars, mustang or crown vic, were speed density cars with a extra microcomputer computer unit to control fuel to air mixture. Part # e8af12a561ab. This part# was used all the way through 1993.it was mounted on the fender inter liner. This gave higher HP and better all a round engine performance. Forunner to maf.
I found no reference to this part number, not doubting you, maybe @FoxChasis has some insite

Called Ford dealership Parts Dept. They could not reference part. Called Ford Tec. they could not ether. I am looking at part so I called local junkyard They had the part number in their books and told me the years it was used and where it was used by Ford only on speed Density police car. Called Ford Tec. back and talked with Tom. Told him what I found Then he remembered so call Ford and ask for Tom. Old part # are not available though Ford Tec. Ford Tec says Dealership can find part# I gave. if you go there and persist.

Last edited:

Makes Sense. Here's one I found with two digits transposed:

E8AF-12A651-AB Engine Control Module ECM 84-91 Ford Police 5.8L 351

I would imagine that the difference would be application specific. Only reason to ever track one of these down is to get back to 100% OEM.

Attachments

• Ford CD Distributor.jpg
    Ford CD Distributor.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 216
Called Ford dealership Parts Dept. They could not reference part. Called Ford Tec. they could not ether. I am looking at part so I called local junkyard They had the part number in their books and told me the years it was used and where it was used by Ford only on speed Density police car. Called Ford Tec. back and talked with Tom. Told him what I found Then he remembered so call Ford and ask for Tom. Old part # are not available though Ford Tec. Ford Tec says Dealership can find part# I gave if you go there and persist.

Attachments

Ford CD Distributor.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 172
Maybe it's the typo in your original message, were you saying this part was for all speed density ssp cars? Because you said "all police mustangs were speed density". And if this part was used on speed density cars it would not have been used up until 1993 because they switched to mass air in 89. I have a 1993 ssp mustang and it has no extra micro computer. Trust me, I know my car.

Maybe it's the typo in your original message, were you saying this part was for all speed density ssp cars? Because you said "all police mustangs were speed density". And if this part was used on speed density cars it would not have been used up until 1993 because they switched to mass air in 89. I have a 1993 ssp mustang and it has no extra micro computer. Trust me, I know my car.
Negative.

They went mass air in 1989 and had the same HP as standard civilian Mustangs.
Call Ford Tec ask for Tom

Attachments

Ford CD Distributor.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 153

Call Ford Tec. Ask for TOM

Attachments

Ford CD Distributor.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 159
I don't need to call anyone. I was part of a group who ordered 20 ssp mustangs in 1993. I still have mine. It was mass air as they all were in 1993 and had no special computer. Actually, it had nothing at all done to the drivetrain different from a production mustang except for heavy duty hoses, oil cooler, etc. HP was the exact same as production cars.

Reactions: 1 user
Called Ford dealership Parts Dept. They could not reference part. Called Ford Tec. they could not ether. I am looking at part so I called local junkyard They had the part number in their books and told me the years it was used and where it was used by Ford only on speed Density police car. Called Ford Tec. back and talked with Tom. Told him what I found Then he remembered so call Ford and ask for Tom. Old part # are not available though Ford Tec. Ford Tec says Dealership can find part# I gave. if you go there and persist.

Attachments

Ford CD Distributor.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 150
Well I think he was just misinformed, the ssp and police units rumor mill can get a little, well, thick.
Makes Sense. Here's one I found with two digits transposed:

E8AF-12A651-AB Engine Control Module ECM 84-91 Ford Police 5.8L 351

I would imagine that the difference would be application specific. Only reason to ever track one of these down is to get back to 100% OEM.
Click on picture. My part # is 12a561ab so maybe we both are right.
How can I be misinformed when I am talking with Ford TEC. This unit allows for a more aggressive parameters than the run of the mill ford cars.
I have read high HP drag cars use speed density controls and not MAF but I donot know

Attachments

Ford CD Distributor.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 142
Status
Not open for further replies.