1987 LX.... fix it or scrap it!?

87LX2.3

Apr 23, 2009
Central Iowa
Hi guys,

As I was once again trying to find the mysterious battery drain on my
'87 LX hatchback, I got to thinking. Is this really worth my time and money? I thought I would ask for you guys' opinions.

My Mustang:
1987 LX Hatchback
2.3L w/ 85,000 miles (runs great, when you get it running)
AOD tranny, rearend, and body w/ 165,000 miles
Body has rust behind doors, and over the rear fenders (considerable Bondo work done in the past- looks like crap now)
Car sat in the guy's yard for 2 years, so the rocker panels are almost gone.

Car runs great, when you get it started- just really cold blooded (have to hold gas pedal 3/4 down while cranking)

I really like this car. It's the only project car I've had that has really shown potential, unlike my first two: 1977 F150 4x4, 1984 F150 2wd w/ worn out 351W

Am I kidding myself into thinking that I can fix a rusty old four-banger hatchback into a halfway decent looking cruiser?
Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Scrap it and start over with something in better shape. As someone who repeatedly chose to move forward with lost causes in my youth, I can tell you from experience it isn't worth it in the end.

You'll save time, money and your sanity starting over at this point with a clean slate.

Anything can be fixed. It's just how much money do you have. I would think it would be cheaper to buy one that is mostly done or even a nice stock notch. By the time you replaced all the parts that need replacing you will have spent as much to buy a nice one. But it's your car. I think what you got fits the old fixer up remedy, Open the hood, pull the radiator cap off, Push the car out of the way, push a new car in and put radiator cap back on. AHHHH Fixed.

That's your opinion. I on the other hand would rather try and fix the rust and make it look good.

Yes, that's my opinion.....and you did ask for opinions if I'm not mistaken? :scratch:

In any case, it sounds like you've already got your mind made up on fixing it.....which brings me to my next question? Why did you bother asking for opinions if the only ones you’re interested in hearing are those telling you to keep the car and sink more money into it? :shrug:

Hey all,

Just keepin ya posted, I'm gettin the Mustang back from the shop tomorrow. It turns out it was a combination of a junk battery and a worn out fuel pump. I got a new fuel pump today for $121 and this week my dad and I are going to try and replace it. Then all it will need is an $80 battery and it should be ready to go.

like i said

i told ya to check your fuel pressure and to be honest with ya if the car is as bad as you say it is i would start over

you gotta figure by the time you put all this money and time into the car to make it look presentable you coulda just bought a straight car with no rust and judging by your already shown mechanical abilities i wouldnt take on a project like that not tryin to flame you or anything you just dont seem like you have enough knowledge to take on such a project

usually once rust gets to a car its gonna stay there unless you do some serious work to get it all out save yourself the headache and heartache and find you another car

the is a guy around here that has an 88 coupe 4 banger auto no motor or trans, body is immaculate along with interior and no rust that i can find anywhere and he wants 700 cash or a good running moped the cars are out there you just gotta look

the pump is a straight foward swap

The 2.3 Mustangs have a few quirks, but overall they are one of the most reliable and easiet to repair and maintain cars you can get today. I have 2 running 5.0 cars and one 2.3 car. I got the 2.3 for $500, swapped in a good $100 a4ld and did some other minor repairs, and it has been a great car. I just like the comfort and nimbleness of the Fox Mustangs.

I'd keep it.