1987 Mustang 2.3 upgrade to turbo

maniac_3_2000

Mar 31, 2006
I have an 1987 Mustang with a regular 2.3 motor in it. I'm getting it machined out for forged pistons. My question is does anyone know if the stock crank is forged or cast? If cast, is it strong enough regardless for a turbo? Also do you know were i can get a forged crankshaft new? I'v searched everywere for one and can't find one.

• Sponsors (?)

just buy a used junkyard 2.3 turbo motor
you can find them for as cheap as $200-$500

machine work is a waste of time & $$ ..
besides then you will still need Turbo parts.. intake/exhaust..wiring

nwoh50 said:
just buy a used junkyard 2.3 turbo motor
you can find them for as cheap as $200-$500

machine work is a waste of time & $$ ..
besides then you will still need Turbo parts.. intake/exhaust..wiring
:Word:
then after your done with the swap
put a holset on that bad boy :nice:

Racer Walsh

Go to or call racerwalsh, they have a good article on this, i think they carge for it, but i found it for free after a google search. It tells what parts are the same from 2.3 to 2.3 turbo, and which need to be upgraded. The list is smaller than you'd think. I ended up with a 2.3 from an 88 TC so the point was mute, but the articel will be helpfull for the 2.3 NA folks.

I think the '80s 2.3 cranks are all the same, turbo or not and that they are nodular iron like a 5.0's. I think the rods are the same forged steel parts between turbo and N/A 2.3s also. If you're already in the process of getting your engine built, don't sweat getting a junkyard turbo engine as there are pitfalls to that also.

If you research using a J3 port plug-in board for the N/A 2.3 EEC, then you can use the mass air computer with your turbo setup. A J3 board is about $50-60 from moates.net and an EPROM programmer(chip burner) is anywhere from $40-500+, depending on where you look. Most will say you need a wideband also, so thats $250-300(you need it with a Megasquirt, too).The learning curve is steep, but its the next best thing to getting a MegaSquirt. The MS also has a steep learning curve, but it also has a larger knowledge base and more flexibility. You can also get a turbo-specific ECU, vane air meter, and injectors and go that route. I got a PF2 ECU for an '85 Merkur 5-speed for $14 shipped through fleabay. Small VAMs are usually $20-40, and stock 30 or 35lb/hr injectors are about the same.

FWIW - your stock crank and rods will do. They are the same as what is on my TC block. Going with forged pistons is a smart move. What is going to hold you back on pushing anything over 10 lbs of boost is the compression ratio with the stock head. N/A's are 9.1:1 or thereabouts whilst the Turbo head is more like 8:1.

All this said, you would be better ahead to get a JY swap if you are on a limited budget (especially to us married guys here..) but if you are lucky to have disposable income to custom build, then by all means....

I did a 93 about 8 years ago. The lower half I used all turbo (block, crank, ect.). For the upper I used the 93 stuff (except the exhaust). I mounted the exhaust, turbo, intake(the 93's made the most power of the ones I had), fuel rails, and injectors before I even dropped it on the short block. try that with a V-6 or 8. On the block I had to put holes for the crank sensor. The computer fired it up and it ran great except a little (lot) rich until I replaced the MAS with one cal'd for the 36# turbo injectors (oops). I even used a '95 alternator and was able to keep all my accesory brackets. I am thinking of getting rid of my 2000LX to do it again. Or maybe just drop a 2.3 in it:shrug: .