Fuel 1988 5.0 Idle surge. Completely stock. Help!

KaptKane

Jun 19, 2018
SW FL
Still a newbie here,
My 88 GT seems to start and idle OK. After a short while (seems like when the engine gets to operating temp) the idle speed increases from 700 to 1200. I was sitting at a red lite the other day and the idle just "jumped up" and it doesn't go back down until the car cools down again.
Thanks in advance.
Kane

• Sponsors (?)

You guys with idle/stall problems could save a lot of time chasing your tails if you would go through the Surging Idle Checklist. Over 50 different people contributed information to it. The first two posts have all the fixes, and steps through the how to find and fix your idle problems without spending a lot of time and money. It includes how to dump the computer codes quickly and simply as one of the first steps. I continue to update it as more people post fixes or ask questions. You can post questions to that sticky and have your name and idle problem recognized. The guys with original problems and fixes get their posts added to the main fix. :D

It's free, I don't get anything for the use of it except knowing I helped a fellow Mustang enthusiast with his car. At last check, it had more than 250,000 hits, which indicates it does help fix idle problems quickly and inexpensively.

Thanks Richker.
Now I can quit "chasing my tail" with this! At least now I have a foundation to work with.
Somehow, I didn't (obviously) find that thread. But I'm sure glad you took the time to steer me to it!
I appreciate you and all the work the members put into researching and developing that thread.
Kane