Engine 1988 - aftermarket cylinder head vs AOD and injector

foxstang

Dec 22, 2018
Baie-comeau
Hey everyone,

i have a 1988 foxbody GT with an AOD. I was planning to get a aftermarket head (i hear it is the best way to get mor power with fox???) and was wondering if my AOD would be strong enough for this? i hear they were kinda weak. also, i would like to know there are some more mods to do if i change the head?

thanks,

• Sponsors (?)

The ford heads don't flow that well but the are good for stock intakes and stock related engine stuff. Just adding heads is ok but to get a engine to work well and maximize its potential you need a plan. Better heads require a supporting cast of parts to get the most from them then you have to address the suspension and brakes for the upgraded power, that includes the transmission, decide what you want from the car then you can plan for the required combination of parts to get to your goal.
if your transmission has 100k miles and never been serviced expect problems when applying hp upgrades. It could survive many miles with a head upgrade as long as you don't abuse it.
JMO

At a minimum you'll want a shift kit, stall converter and larger trans cooler to have a chance of surviving more power. Ideally, rebuild the AOD with the above and 4r70w gearset. Not cheap, but neither is blowing AODs left and right when you add 50-75hP from heads and supporting mods

Reactions: 1 user