1988 mustang gt

88redstang

Jan 6, 2020
Ontario
looking for some opinions on my build doing a 88 with speed density and dont wanna do maf conversion looking for the best HCI swap what kind of heads cam and intake gets you a decent package with these options without breaking the bank, thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Budget?

Staying SD without any sort of tuning is going to severely limit you.

Gt40 heads, stock cam and 1.7rrs and explorer/cobra intake with 65mm Tb might be the limit of what you can do without tuning

No, the A9L is not the only option although it's probably the most common. No, you would not need to rewire the whole car for Mass air. There are a few pins at the ECU that need changed as well as the Mass air connector that needs added. You can get the Mass air conversion harness from LMR, it comes with the instructions on how to change your speed density car to Mass air.

As far as the Tweecer goes, I can't answer anything about it but I'm sure someone can.

would it be worth 500 to buy a tweecer rt? anyone have experience with these?

Vs convert to Mass Air?

Are you planning an aluminum headed 331 with a turbo? Or a basic Gt40 headed combo? If the later, save yourself some headache and just swap to mass air.

I did it to my ‘88. It’s 7 wires and about 1-2hrs of work.

Reactions: 1 users
No, the A9L is not the only option although it's probably the most common. No, you would not need to rewire the whole car for Mass air. There are a few pins at the ECU that need changed as well as the Mass air connector that needs added. You can get the Mass air conversion harness from LMR, it comes with the instructions on how to change your speed density car to Mass air.

As far as the Tweecer goes, I can't answer anything about it but I'm sure someone can.
okay i thought i had to rewire for the ecu but if its just some pins i can do that is there only the two options when switching the ecu to work with mass air its a manual trans, thanks

would it be worth 500 to buy a tweecer rt? anyone have experience with these?
You need to be a wizard to understand the User Interface. Tuner Studio for Megasquirt is much more user friendly.
No MAF required, no rewiring of factory harness.

Reactions: 1 users
looking for some opinions on my build doing a 88 with speed density and dont wanna do maf conversion looking for the best HCI swap what kind of heads cam and intake gets you a decent package with these options without breaking the bank, thanks
I converted my ‘86 5.0 to mass air years ago. The process is pretty simple, but you have to move several wires to new positions in the ECU connector. There’s a tool to remove the connector pins. I’d do the conversion first thing.