1989 2 wire or 3 wire tranny question

TheRipper

Mar 31, 2005
Ok my internet connection went to crap so I am on dial up tonight where it sucks to do a big search..sorry..but here is the question.I have a 1989 4 cyl hatchback mustang I just got a hold of for basicly free,The transmission is out of it where I have no core.My buddy told me it was a a year tranny that has 3 wires instead of 2 wires to control the overdrive in it.Is this true?And if it is true is there a option to bypass this?He told me the wrecking yards want to rape you because it is a 1 year model.I have not got to check on all this yet.I have a 5.0 that I coverted back to carb and am only used to the v8 stuff.One more question if this is true can I just buy a BM shifter and hook up like my C6 has?I was going to v8 the car for me but when I got it and looked at it.I seen it was in perfect shape inside out and my sister will be 16 in about 6 months so it seemed perfect.Thx for any help on this subject.

• Sponsors (?)

I dropped a 3wire trans out of a 93 into my 89(2wire) and didnt realize untill after it was in the car. Now I have no overdrive and It does not always like to go into gear :nonono: I couldnt hook the wires into the trans due to the different conectors. I just want a c4 :( Can I ****** the plug off a 93 and just splice or am I out of luck :shrug:

4bangen said:
I dropped a 3wire trans out of a 93 into my 89(2wire) and didnt realize untill after it was in the car. Now I have no overdrive and It does not always like to go into gear :nonono: I couldnt hook the wires into the trans due to the different conectors. I just want a c4 :( Can I ****** the plug off a 93 and just splice or am I out of luck :shrug:
You are mostly out of luck. I suspect something could be wired up to activate the 3-4 solenoid, but I am unsure of the signal that the tranny is looking for. As for the problem with not always going to gear, firstly check the fluid. If it ever starts to feel like the tranny is working against itself, immidiatly stop driving it! It is likely the valve body fell down. I suspect this is how my previous A4ld died.

I just went through this.

I got an 89 2.3 notch with an A4LD with no overdrive. I bought what was supposed to be a 90 engine and trans. Then I got the ATSG manuals on the A4LD, both the service and the update. It said I had a 2 solenoid trans. When I pulled the pan on my spare, it was a single solenoid unit, and I was disappointed. Then I dropped the pan on the car and it was a single solenoid unit, and had the correct matching 2 wire connector.

Not sure, but you might be able to swap the original valvebody into the new trans.

The function of both the od and 3-4 solenoid is to prevent the shift under certain conditions as determined by the computer, cold engine, coast, too low a speed for lockup and od, brakes applied, etc.

Ford applies power to the solenoids from the EEC when the car is on, and the computer grounds the circuit when it is commanded on, so you could easily fake it with 12v switches, or something similar.

Thanks for the help.I am going to get the car in the air and check it out.The way my buddy made it sound was that that year only had that tranny in it and that was it.But by the info here both tranny's were made for a few years so there should not be to much of a problem finding one.Thanks again for the help.

Yes you can!!!

I just did this myself. I put a 2 wire (early) into my 91 (3 wire). If the tranny is out of the car its a snap. You can swap the valve bodies and they will work just fine. Just pay attention to those little 10mm bolts that are different length and should go back in the same hole. The solenoid plug has a tab that you depress and pull it out the bottom (careful..it's fragile).
Don't unbolt the plate from the valve body.
Gasket can be a bear if/when it rips up. I used a box cutter blade in a pair of small visegrips to scrape the upper surface clean. Took a while to get all the gasket off but you gotta do it. So far (3000 mles) it is working perfectly.
The later trannys are upgraded with roller thrust bearings and such but I was
trying for the absolute cheapest solution for this car. Now I have a 91 vert
with a new top for under $500.
Bruce (TX)