1989 foxbody coupe irs swap needs

MFOXB89

Jul 4, 2018
San Antonio
I recently got a hold of a shell, roller coupe. I’ve been buying parts for it to restore it. I want to work on the suspension & I know I want to do a irs swap, don’t know much about them I’ve read and done some research. “03-04” for good power & 3.55. The part on where I’m stuck is coilovers, brake upgrades. I’m going to do coilovers don’t know if I’m suppose to buy a rear cobra struds & also mines 4 lug, I know I have to upgrade on the brake lines, but changing to 5 lug what kind of brakes do I order fox brakes or cobra brakes? Any tips or help would be appreciated. Thank you for reading!

Attachments

• 8C916EB8-BB06-473A-9D04-96882AFC145E.jpeg
    8C916EB8-BB06-473A-9D04-96882AFC145E.jpeg
    343.1 KB · Views: 173
  • 6DDE8E94-349E-4F30-8F7C-4009A1FD1E51.jpeg
    6DDE8E94-349E-4F30-8F7C-4009A1FD1E51.jpeg
    366.5 KB · Views: 891
  • Sponsors (?)

pretty sure you need to run 99-04 cobra irs struts and coilovers. And i believe you can call maximum motorsports and they will help guide you in the right direction on spring rates and all of that fun stuff

You will need IRS specific coil overs. They come with a bracket that has to be welded into the rear shock tower. There used to be tubular lower irs control arms floating around....but i haven't seen them in a while.

You'll need 94- 95 front spindles and brake stuff. The 93 cobra brake booster and master cylinder are the best option for the brakes. You'll have to gut the factory proportion valve and use an adjustable one for best braking.

I use cobra front brakes on sn95 spindles with a cobra booster and a 98 v6 master cylinder and prop valve. My car stops well but I drove one with the 93 cobra master cylinder and adjustable prop valve.... that thing stopped on a dime and the pedal was a little tighter.

Mine stops on a nickle....it will lock the tires but its not as responsive.

You will need IRS specific coil overs. They come with a bracket that has to be welded into the rear shock tower. There used to be tubular lower irs control arms floating around....but i haven't seen them in a while.

You'll need 94- 95 front spindles and brake stuff. The 93 cobra brake booster and master cylinder are the best option for the brakes. You'll have to gut the factory proportion valve and use an adjustable one for best braking.

I use cobra front brakes on sn95 spindles with a cobra booster and a 98 v6 master cylinder and prop valve. My car stops well but I drove one with the 93 cobra master cylinder and adjustable prop valve.... that thing stopped on a dime and the pedal was a little tighter.

Mine stops on a nickle....it will lock the tires but its not as responsive.

Good to know, thank you, I’m doing a coyote swap. Going with a 15-18 model engines.

Reactions: 1 user
Make sure you keep us posted on your build.

Coyote engines are still above my budget... but I've got IRS. Lol