Fuel 1989 fuel crossover tube bad?

fun331

5 Year Member
Jul 14, 2018
East Coast of Canada
I was putting the transmission back in today and checked the fuel crossover that's back by the firewall and goes between the two fuel rails. I have a small split in mine aimed right at the firewall. I was thinking of getting it off there but realized that there's a hard tube inside the light colored tube. Am I safe to run around with a split in the outer tube? Here's a pic
crossover1.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

It's been a long time since I've had to deal with this but I believe this is the line you want.. Dip the nylon line in boiling water for 60-90 secs. Push it over the barb. When it cools it won't be coming off. Some people get away with using a heat gun but you could easily over due it and distort the line that way if your not careful.

http://www.ronmorrisperformance.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=9130

Aeroquip also makes socketless high pressure hose that works great for replacing the factory line. The barbed ends on the fuel rail are the same design as that on the Aeroquip socketless fittings made for the hose. I haven't personally used this but seen it on another car at a cruise spot and the owner said it was a few years old so looked like a good alternative to mention.

Last edited:
he has a small crack in the crossover line, see his pic, need to know if he needs to fix this or is this just a covering on a hard line, it apparently is not leaking,

oh well its a nylon line covered with rubber I believe so if it's not leaking it is most likely just the covering split. I would thoroughly inspect it though because thats one line you don't want leaking as it's been proven to cause fires

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Thanks all for the replies. Boostedpimp says it's a nylon line inside so that makes me feel good. I know stock fuel pressure is 38 PSI and I'm probably closer to 40 so no fuel leaks allowed. You can't see this in the pic real well, but on my phone I can zoom in on it and the split almost looks like a rectangle. The edges are real square like it was a part of the outer tube when it was made. I'll keep my eyes and nose on it but I'm thinking it's ok.