Electrical 1989 GT Electrical update questions

Ukturf

Mar 20, 2020
Oregon
I purchased an 89 GT right when Covid began had it tuned 347 stroked. Its a solid platform and far from perfect but Ive got some cash and minimal electrical experience so for give me for basic dumb questions.

Ive got a 351 and gen 4 aluminum ls 5.3 block sitting in my shop that can potentially be rebuilt easily. Until then I would like to inquire about getting some aftermarket goodies to prepare for the future.

What products should I be searching for to do the following..

Secondary fuse block that handles gauges, radiator fan controls, fuel pump, fog lights etc. (other suggestions welcome here)

More or less the easiest way possible to add accessories and run wires seamlessly clean and efficient.

Thoughts?

• Sponsors (?)

Secondary fuse block? You have one or you want one? Your 89 only has the one fuse panel under the dash.

Radiator fan controls ... You have an electric fan or you will be putting one on?

If you are adding an electric fan and want some extra fuse points I may have a solution that tackles both at same time.

Location of the fuse box can be done a couple ways. On my mustang it is mounted up above my inner fender (by the horns) and on my F150 I installed the Contour enclosure box to keep it all protected.

Thanks for the reply. @KRUISR. I would like a secondary fuse block. Its hard for me to describe but on my motorcycle I added a fuse block that connect directly to the battery so I can add accessories without all the clutter connecting to the battery. (multiple grounds and power wires)

End of the day I want to manually control fuel pump, fans ,etc on a switch. Im not eleictrical savvy at all and old machines are a huge learning curve for me. Is this a possibility or am I way off base here. I have a fan already installed on the radiator however It isnt functioning for some reason (previous owner did a hack job). I would like dual fans for added protection and today the temps increase at idle becuase the fan isnt drawing any air in. When Im moving temps go way down. Again sorry for the lack of intelligence on my part. Im learning.

If you get a fuse block from a Contour/Cougar/Mystique you can have a few extra circuits available by just hooking up the fans. Read the link I gave above, it has pics on the fuse block and how to wire it.

As I said, I have used this set up for a couple different types of vehicles, so ask if you have any questions.

Reactions: 1 user