1989 Lx Convertible Top Replacement

May 5, 2014
I bought an 89' lx convertible about 5 months ago and it is going to need a top soon. Being it is my first convertible I have a few questions about the top replacement. The current top now is black vinyl with a plastic rear window. This is probably what I will go back with as well.
My first question is what does a typical top and replacement at a shop cost? I have heard several stories of the top replacement being hard so I'm going to leave it to someone more experienced than me.
Next, what advice can you experienced convertible owners give me for caring for the top so that it will last?

• Sponsors (?)

Reactions: 1 user
I've had a vert for about fifteen years now and the best thing I can tell ya is to spring for a glass rear window. Every plastic window I've seen hazes over and cracks. Remember it's the same work to install a junk top as it is to install a quality top. Keep it clean, don't put it down wet or when it's below about 65. Also, the sun is murder on a top, uv flat kills the vinyl so when possible keep it in the shade.

All good advice. You want a quality top like Robbins or EZ On. Get a glass back and also get new pads. Just as important is the install, you can easily mess up a good top with the improper install.

For care, do not use any armor all or similar product. There is a product called Ragg Top that works well. Use a mild soap with a good brush to keep it clean.

Thanks for all the info guys. I'll look into a glass back since that seems to be the way to go.
Have any of you guys tried installing it yourself? I've heard you need a nice staple gun and industrial adhesive to install it correctly.

glass :thumbsup:

it needs to be right, i just pay a good shop and know i wont have to worry about alignment, wrinkles etc
but i know some folks have good success diy...

on another note, mike referring to robbins made me learn there is a tsb about how to fix the top tearing issue... gotta track that down...