1989 LX Motorcraft plug wires or aftermarket

stevesLX

Nov 12, 2006
cincinnati
I need to change my plug wires and not sure which brand I should go with. I have 89 LX 302 bored 30 24# injectors 303 cam edelbrock plenum and intake BBK throttle body and some other goodies. I bought the car this way. I may run her a few times next spring at the strip but primarily just driving it back and forth to work. I dont have a whole lot of money to spend but I need to replace the plug wires and plugs. So with that being said should I get Motor craft or should I get something like Accel or something else?

• Sponsors (?)

I personally like MSD but the Ford ones also really good. Just about any high performance aftermarket wires are much better than stock. I like MSD because I can buy all the parts of the wire separate... for instance my friend left a couple of my wires sitting on my headers once and they got fried. I just bought the boots from Summit.
Kevin

A vote for the Moroso ultra 40's here. They have excellent resistance and look great. Whatever you pick, I'd recommend a universal kit so you can cut to length the wires. I found most pre-fabbed sets I purchased have wires that don’t even come close to the proper length. I ususaly would end up with a rats nest of wires…and although my engine bay may not be the cleanest…it sure as hell made it look that much worse.

site1090.jpg

I **just** bought a set of the MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor custom fit wires. Most if not all wires are too long and I hate the "multi-angle" plug boots. If you are not familiar with these they adjust to almost any angle since you bend them to clear things like headers. Sounds like a great idea but the very thing that makes them cool (flexibility) also makes them very difficult to install. The boots fit very tight to the plugs and any force causes them to bend before snapping onto the plug. The wires themselves are great quality, but I am not a fan of the multi adjust boots.

I am a big fan of Magnecor wires which I consider to be the all around best. But at $100+ a set I opted for the similar MSDs.