Electrical 1990 airbag module

rad4lif

Mar 1, 2019
LA
ok so i’m having a lil annoying problem here...i own 90 5.0 n my airbag module is beeping the annoying :poo: of me n i went into youtube to fix it n they only show u what’s the problem is n what to do BUT theres no video how to replace it or how to unplug it they don’t show how to get to it yes i know it’s right behind ur ac control panel but thing it’s well tugged in there n it’s hard to get to it...any suggestions

• Sponsors (?)

I've never had to mess with mine, but getting behind the Hvac controls is easy. Unsnap the bezel that goes around them and remove the 4 screws that holds the controls in. The radio comes out just as easily.

Reactions: 1 users
I changed mine out a couple times, its not that bad though. Just disconnect the battery before you start and I recommend wearing some sort of work gloves as the edges of the dashboard are sharp and will scratch up your hands and wrists.

Reactions: 1 user
I've never had to mess with mine, but getting behind the Hvac controls is easy. Unsnap the bezel that goes around them and remove the 4 screws that holds the controls in. The radio comes out just as easily.
yes that was the easy part i got that already what i’m saying once that’s off thats when the fun starts that thing it’s well tucked in there...i’m not even thinking of replacing it let alone its juz hard to disconnect it

I changed mine out a couple times, its not that bad though. Just disconnect the battery before you start and I recommend wearing some sort of work gloves as the edges of the dashboard are sharp and will scratch up your hands and wrists.
ok so did u come from the driver side or passenger side which way is better n u actually took the whole thing of...i’m juz trying to disconnect it

I would count the blinks the airbag light does and look up the corresponding code to see what the problem is and possibly fix it.

Anyways there are two plugs that connect on the driver side of the blue box behind the hvac and radio. So you want to put your arm through the driver side of the console around the bracing to get ahold of the two plugs. It's not easy and you will cut up your wrist I removed mine a few weeks ago only for that to not be the problem lol. So I had to put it back in and it was even worse then trying to disconnect the two plugs and undo the two screws.

ok so did u come from the driver side or passenger side which way is better n u actually took the whole thing of...i’m juz trying to disconnect it
I just sat in the drivers seat and reached in there, notice wearing gloves so you don't slice up your wrists.

New.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I just sat in the drivers seat and reached in there, notice wearing gloves so you don't slice up your wrists.

New.jpg
I was able to get my beeping to stop by pulling the two connectors on the side. I have a 1991 LX 5.0 and the beeps started when I pulled my factory dash for a digital one, and the connectors are easy to pull, you just push a little thing down then they slide out, not like the typical connectors where you have to pry up and slide at the same time and hope you don't break the clip.

I appear to have a similar problem with the airbag on my '90 LX. When the ignition is turned on, the air bag light on the dash does not flash at all. However, the airbag module beeps five times, followed by a pause, then five more times, and so on for a total of 25 beeps. Is this indicating that the air bag light bulb is burned out or or is something more going on? It's annoying only at this point, but I want to make sure the air bag will work properly in event of a collision. Thanks!

I appear to have a similar problem with the airbag on my '90 LX. When the ignition is turned on, the air bag light on the dash does not flash at all. However, the airbag module beeps five times, followed by a pause, then five more times, and so on for a total of 25 beeps. Is this indicating that the air bag light bulb is burned out or or is something more going on? It's annoying only at this point, but I want to make sure the air bag will work properly in event of a collision. Thanks!
I’m not sure about the code, you would have to look up the fox body airbag codes, but yes it is beeping because your bulb is burnt out or missing. This happened when I took out my factory dash, so the circuit was left open, and the beep started for me. The easiest way to get it to stop is to remove or disconnect the module, but then of course you will never have airbags deploy.

Thanks paddyrk. Now I'm remembering the progression of this. At one point, the air bag light was blinking constantly. I didn't know it was blinking a code so didn't think to count the blinks, but anyway, did my best to ignore it including putting a piece of electrical tape over the light. Not good, I know. Then, the blinking stopped but the beeping started, indicating the bulb was burned out, no doubt from all that constant blinking. So, I'll figure out how to replace the bulb then see if it is blinking and if so, what code it is signaling. Then, go from there.

I really do want a functional air bag. A while back, I survived a head on collision in a Fox body Mustang. The air bag deployed and the seat belt held, and I walked away from the accident. The car was totaled.