Drivetrain 1990 AOD TV Pressure Question, Please

markinms

5 Year Member
Mar 1, 2018
Columbus MS
I did a preliminary manual AOD TV Cable adjustment as seen in numerous internet posts. Been driving it this way for a while but have noticed some minor slipping starting to happen.

Finally hooked up a pressure gauge to the TV pressure port and was surprised by the results,

Idling in park, TV pressure was 15 - 25 psi. Idling in neutral TV pressure was 10 15 psi. Haven't checked pressure with the adjustment block yet as pressure is already so high.

How do I adjust the TV cable to reduce pressure? Do I slide the moving locking adjustment block forward or backwards? Should it have more or less slack?

Thanks for any help!

Mark

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks for the reply.

This time before testing TV pressure, I adjusted curb idle speed, confirmed timing, checked TPS setting, etc.. Then slightly adjusted the TV Cable to give it a bit more slack.

Now at idle TV pressure is 2-3 psi. When I use the TV pressure adjustment tool, pressure is up around 38-40 psi, not 30 psi as the manual says it should be. I have read that TV pressure can bee be between 30 - 40 psi; what do you think? Also read conflicting procedures; some say vehicle should be idling in Park while others say vehicle should be idling in Neutral. Any thoughts on this?

I can add a bit more slack in the cable which would probably bring the idle TV pressure near 0 psi and with the adjustment tool, bring pressure down closer to 30 psi.

Any thoughts/ideas/feedback is appreciated.

Mark

I wouldn’t worry about pressure being slightly higher. That shouldn’t hurt anything. But if the pressure is lower than normal, that can hurt internal parts