1990 coupes are basically SSP mustangs.

Bazooka1

Mar 14, 2020
California
91-92 5.0 Mustang notchbacks all came with the sport tweed interior and 16" ponies. Unlike the 1990 5.0 notchback that came with 10 hole wheels and standard/ssp seats. Obviously you still have the ssp parts like blue radiator hose, alternator, radios etc. But it seems cosmetically the 1990 coupe was basically an unmarked SSP.

• Sponsors (?)

So you're saying cosmetically they are not the same?

99% cosmetically the same, but there are other small differences. If you are going to look at it that way than all 87-90 civilian coupes were cosmetically the same, but you could also say that all 87-93 4-cyl coupes are cosmetically the same as well.

Speaks more to the fact that Ford just took the cheapest V8 trim available and added some SSP items to them.

Not exactly, the 87-89 coupes also came with the base model seats as well.

But SSP Mustangs have a lot more unique parts over the standard Mustang.
Yes you're right 87-90.

But like I said apart from under the hood mods(nothing to make the car faster just more durable for excess driving)the cars are the same.

Relocated trunk release, and mounted hardware. Ground straps etc.

Again cosmetically the cars were the same. And contrary to what some noobs would make you believe the ssp had no upgrades to the motor it had the power and torque as any 5.0 of the time.

99% cosmetically the same, but there are other small differences. If you are going to look at it that way than all 87-90 civilian coupes were cosmetically the same, but you could also say that all 87-93 4-cyl coupes are cosmetically the same as well.

Speaks more to the fact that Ford just took the cheapest V8 trim available and added some SSP items to them.
Yup pretty much.

Obviously didn't include the 4 cyl due to the motor, wheels, dual pipe, 5.0 badges etc.

Don't forget the single key. SSP had only one key. The doors, trunk, glove box, and ignition are keyed the same, I believe.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong

or at least only partially corrects

ton's of differences both between civilian and ssp also tons of differences between 4 cyl and v8. Body is slightly different between 4 cyl and v8 too. brakes, rear end, quads vs no quads (no stud on 4 cyl), fuel lines, brake lines, K member, wirings,transmission, driveshaft, speedometer, tach, vacuum system, tons of differences that the internet don't tell you about--and then there's differences in the year models, such as mid year 1992's having different parking brake setup, some have a little different wiring, etc

and-there is little if any information available for 4 cylinder cars for those of us who decided to keep the 4 cylinder. Everything posted online is for all the V8 cars and a lot of that does not apply to 2.3L cars. Case in point the IRCM.....

similar ssp vs civilian once you have both of them in front of you, you see the differences

yes ssp are single key for everything but that is fairly easily accomplished by a good locksmith; and some have done this and sold their car as ssp (higher resale)-without any documentation.

ton's of differences both between civilian and ssp also tons of differences between 4 cyl and v8. Body is slightly different between 4 cyl and v8 too. brakes, rear end, quads vs no quads (no stud on 4 cyl), fuel lines, brake lines, K member, wirings,transmission, driveshaft, speedometer, tach, vacuum system, tons of differences that the internet don't tell you about--and then there's differences in the year models, such as mid year 1992's having different parking brake setup, some have a little different wiring, etc

and-there is little if any information available for 4 cylinder cars for those of us who decided to keep the 4 cylinder. Everything posted online is for all the V8 cars and a lot of that does not apply to 2.3L cars. Case in point the IRCM.....

similar ssp vs civilian once you have both of them in front of you, you see the differences

yes ssp are single key for everything but that is fairly easily accomplished by a good locksmith; and some have done this and sold their car as ssp (higher resale)-without any documentation.
Oh I agree on 4 cylinders cars that's why I didn't mention them.

Not the same (well maybe a few radiator hoses and seats are the same)
They flog pretty similar
I believe the cop cars had a retarded cam chain and gear set
They used to brag to us about doing 155 when chasing speeders and evaders
I think any GT with 3.08 gears or round bout will do 155 with a 15 inch tire
Even the bodies were some different with ground straps from both lower arms to the frame and one on the rear axle
Being a speeder myself driving a 69 Z28 for years to work at ford
If I told you what we used to do to those interceptors I would have to kill you

Don't forget the single key. SSP had only one key. The doors, trunk, glove box, and ignition are keyed the same, I believe.

Later years yes, earlier years no. My '85 has 3 keys.

Also there are so many potential differences that saying they're basically the same is basically just wrong. One of the cool things about SSP's is all the little unique things that different agencies may have ordered.

SSP's if I recall, also had the calibrated, 160 speedo, with 7 digit odometer
Calibrated, yes, all years
160 was mid 89 and later. 140 before that
7-digit odo (also called "million mile") was in 93 and later only, and not just in SSPs. It was also only in certain areas of the country in 93

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
Calibrated, yes, all years
160 was mid 89 and later. 140 before that
7-digit odo (also called "million mile") was in 93 and later only, and not just in SSPs. It was also only in certain areas of the country in 93
If I recall the 7 digit ODO was actually a NY thing in 93

Btw I’m trying to figure out what this thread is trying to accomplish . It seems it’s a bunch of miss info ( not all of it ) being countered by other Info .

Like the bodies being different ? What’s different ? Ascetically they are the same car on the outside body wise less the lights . Yes they have buck tags and markings and things are moved around inside for service but again same cars . What are we getting at here ?

I think nearby states that would send inventory across the border to NY would also regularly order 7-digit ODO cars as well to make it easier to transfer the cars.

One thing i've always wondered, the Ford Motorsport speedos were available the same years as the Certified Calibrated SSP speedos (140MPH for 87-88 and 160MPH for 89-93). Is there a functional difference in them and how they are calibrated?