1990 Foxbody Mustang Gt Tires And Wheels

a.o.a

May 3, 2015
I recently bought a 1990 foxbody mustang from a guy as a surprise for my boyfriend and I wanted to change/update the rims and tires, problem is, though the wheels look the same, all the tires are different. I know nothing about wheels/tires though I'm learning, what would be the best size/type of tire and
Screenshot_2015-06-13-22-04-29.png
Screenshot_2015-06-13-21-51-13.png
wheels for this car?

• Sponsors (?)

Are you wanting different rims and tires? Do you have any idea what rims you want? If you ask folks will post up pics of what they're running

If not are you asking what size rims you have now?

you have a 5 lug conversion which is nice.

Reactions: 1 user
Run the same width rim so that he can rotate the tires front to back to extend the life of the tires. I would go with a 17 x 9. Check with the wheel manufacturer/tire vendor for the poper backspacing and offset. Offset is essentially the distance between the center of the inside of the wheel and the centerline. The backspacing is the distance between the center of the back of the wheel and the flange. You want the correct offset an backspacing so that you don't hit any steering or suspension components. Most of the companies like American Muscle, Late Model Restoration, Tire Rack have tech support that have done this 1000's of times and can help you.

If you do have some rubbing when making complete turns, any auto parts stores sell "rack limiters" a very inexpensive plastic piece that takes 10 minutes to install which will limit the amount you can turn the wheel so the inner portion of the wheel doesn't rub against your suspension.

Are you wanting different rims and tires? Do you have any idea what rims you want? If you ask folks will post up pics of what they're running

If not are you asking what size rims you have now?

you have a 5 lug conversion which is nice.

I was asking what size rims I had now, and/or wht is the size I need on the car so that it won't rub. I am getting new tires bc the ones that came on the car (shown above) are all different sizes so I'm going to get 245/45/17. But I also wanted new rims, I'm not sure what style at the moment just need the size.

Run the same width rim so that he can rotate the tires front to back to extend the life of the tires. I would go with a 17 x 9. Check with the wheel manufacturer/tire vendor for the poper backspacing and offset. Offset is essentially the distance between the center of the inside of the wheel and the centerline. The backspacing is the distance between the center of the back of the wheel and the flange. You want the correct offset an backspacing so that you don't hit any steering or suspension components. Most of the companies like American Muscle, Late Model Restoration, Tire Rack have tech support that have done this 1000's of times and can help you.

If you do have some rubbing when making complete turns, any auto parts stores sell "rack limiters" a very inexpensive plastic piece that takes 10 minutes to install which will limit the amount you can turn the wheel so the inner portion of the wheel doesn't rub against your suspension.

Thanks I appreciate it! Very detailed to where I can understand and comprehend.

Post up pics of entire car. If lowered, you might want to run a slightly narrower tire. 235/45/17

Pre-91 cars have smaller front fenders so there is sometimes clearance issues. If stock height, stick with 245/45/17.

Those are 99-04 mustang GT wheels. 17x8

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it, but depending on how the car has been converted to 5-lug might dictate what wheels you run as not all fit correct. For example, with the rims on the car and a specific 5-lug conversion, you wouldn't be able to put the center caps on. I'm guessing since one isn't on in the pic, that is the case.

Btw, lucky guy. Hope he reciprocates that awesome gift.

Sent from my big ass iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Post up pics of entire car. If lowered, you might want to run a slightly narrower tire. 235/45/17

Pre-91 cars have smaller front fenders so there is sometimes clearance issues. If stock height, stick with 245/45/17.

Those are 99-04 mustang GT wheels. 17x8

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it, but depending on how the car has been converted to 5-lug might dictate what wheels you run as not all fit correct. For example, with the rims on the car and a specific 5-lug conversion, you wouldn't be able to put the center caps on. I'm guessing since one isn't on in the pic, that is the case.

Btw, lucky guy. Hope he reciprocates that awesome gift.

The front kinda looks a tad bit lower in person but seeing as how there are all different size tires on it I can't tell. But all center caps fit correctly.

Attachments

• 00V0V_celIedqTvVk_600x450.jpg
    00V0V_celIedqTvVk_600x450.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 377
The front kinda looks a tad bit lower in person but seeing as how there are all different size tires on it I can't tell. But all center caps fit correctly.
The center caps on that style wheel will fit fine no matter how the 5 lug conversion was done, if you were wanting different style wheels you could end up with a center cap issue. You can pop the center cap off one of the front wheels and look for a bearing cap snout sticking out, if you have that then you will be limited on wheel choices.

The center caps on that style wheel will fit fine no matter how the 5 lug conversion was done, .

Disagree. Have seen pics of guys cutting circles out of the center cap to let the dust cap of the 5-lug conversion rotors poke through. The are concaved in.

What they are saying is, on the front wheels, the year spindle used on the swap may dictate front rim selection. If you turned the wheel all the way left then right and took pictures of the spindle we could most likely tell you. The spindle is the piece the wheel and brake mounts to the body

You may also have a 5 lug rotor which just replaces the brake rotor with 5 lug vs 4 lug. it is easy to identify as the brake rotor is both the brake ring and hub, where as the newer ones is the brak ring but not the central hub

rotor has no hub its part of the spindle, see pics below.

94-96 spindle.jpg

No spindle swap just 5 lug conversion rotors below

lrs-1102k_9472.jpg

Rotor does not have "hub" in the 94+ spindle scenario
102263.jpg

The center caps on that style wheel will fit fine no matter how the 5 lug conversion was done, if you were wanting different style wheels you could end up with a center cap issue. You can pop the center cap off one of the front wheels and look for a bearing cap snout sticking out, if you have that then you will be limited on wheel choices.
What they are saying is, on the front wheels, the year spindle used on the swap may dictate front rim selection. If you turned the wheel all the way left then right and took pictures of the spindle we could most likely tell you. The spindle is the piece the wheel and brake mounts to the body

You may also have a 5 lug rotor which just replaces the brake rotor with 5 lug vs 4 lug. it is easy to identify as the brake rotor is both the brake ring and hub, where as the newer ones is the brak ring but not the central hub

rotor has no hub its part of the spindle, see pics below.

94-96 spindle.jpg

No spindle swap just 5 lug conversion rotors below

lrs-1102k_9472.jpg

Rotor does not have "hub" in the 94+ spindle scenario
102263.jpg
Thanks for your very detailed answer I appreciate all the help because he has a passion for this so I'm just trying to understand a little more about it! Its hard for me to tell with the wheels on and because I'm guessing these have been on so long the look rusty. So it may be best to change that too while I'm at it???? I'm not sure but these are the best pics I can get hopefully you may be able to tell?
Screenshot_2015-06-18-19-56-10.png Screenshot_2015-06-18-19-58-58.png Screenshot_2015-06-18-19-56-12.png

Disagree. Have seen pics of guys cutting circles out of the center cap to let the dust cap of the 5-lug conversion rotors poke through. The are concaved in.

We were watching a car show and somebody had redid an old Mustang and I casually brought up what he would like if he got the mustang he was wanting he said he didn't much like the cobra style wheels or stock wheels...he said he likes skinny tires in the front with a little smaller rim and bigger thick fat type of tire in the back with a little bigger rim...he said something like 17x6 fr and 17x9 back??? The wheels picture are not exact because it was a lot to take in all at once haha 1990.jpg $_1.jpeg wld-9054030_1011.jpg