Engine 1990 GT Manual Transmission - Oil Leak and Water plug

Vix

Sep 2, 2020
Dubai
I've had my white beauty for a while now... a 1990 Mustang GT convertible manual transmission .. she's mainly stock except for the Koni suspensions.. which I installed nearly a decade ago but I feel it needs to be changed. Does anyone know how long do they really last, besides the lifetime guarantee they provide.

Besides the random question.. I'm changing the steering rack as its gone rusted and in the process, I thought I'll finally plug the engine oil leak as well.

The car is in the workshop and from what I've been told, I need to change the rear main seal.. as well as the front and rear crankshaft seal.
As I live in Dubai.. I'll be paying quite a bit for shipping and don't want to get it wrong

I'm going to be ordering from Rock Auto as I'll be getting the steering rack from there as well. There are a lot of options on Rock Auto.. which leave me confused and wondering..

1. Under Crankshaft seals - There are quite a few options for front and rear seals.. Any recommendations on what seal I should get... ideally what's more durable, considering it gets pretty hot here. More so, Should i get sleeves as well...? Last but not least.. under the same section.. i found the fel-pro.. which says rear mail seal..
FEL-PRO BS40620
Rear; Rear Main Seal Set; Rubber; One-piece; Improved design

To my understanding the rear main seal is the output shaft seal.. or am I mistaken.. :\\

2. Under Main / Output shaft seal - There are a few options.. any recommendations on which seal I should get.. I have a T5 manual 5 speed. Do I need to get the sleeve as well..?
Do i need the pilot repair sleeve as well.

3. Considering I'm going to be lowering the engine and transmission.. shouldn't I be getting the input shaft seal as well..?

Pardon my ignorance on all the seals.. I would really appreciate any guidance with what seals and kits I should get to ensure I don't have to use any old parts.. more so plug any common oil leaks that are discovered once they go to replace the main seals.

Living in Dubai.. I don't have access to these parts.. and i don't want to be in a position where the car is stuck in the workshop and I'm held up.. cause I missed out on one or two seals/parts which is I have to order again and pay for shipping once again. It's my daily drive.

Grateful for all the advise and recommendations on getting it right..

Thank you !!!!!

p.s. there is also a engine water plug leak ..is what I'm told. I'm unable to find any such part on Rock Auto. Any thoughts..?

• Sponsors (?)

The water plug may be a 'freeze plug' we really need a picture or a detailed description of where it's at.

Just to add. Freeze plugs (Expansion plugs) are rather generic. Measure the diameter. You would then search for a 2.5” expansion plug of the appropriate thickness.

all other questions I’ll need to get back in front of a pc to answer

So rear main seal IS the rear crankshaft seal. The typical fox vernacular is "front timing cover seal" and "rear main seal". If you state it that way, 99% of us Mustangers would know what you are talking about, at least here in the US.

For the front seal, behind the timing cover, a Timkin 2692 can be used. You can cross-reference that to Fel-pro if you'd like. both should be good.

For the rear main seal, you can go with the Fel Pro BS40620. The sleeve is Fel-pro part number 16250. I would highly recommend the install tool, felpro 16300.

On the transmission it's typically called the "output shaft seal". Timkin 5202 includes the seal and bushing, but the extension housing needs to be removed to install the bushing unless you have access to a special tool designed to to it on the car.

A lot of these seals are included in kits which include other gaskets as well. For example, if you order a Fel Pro TCS45008, you would get the front timing cover seal, as well as the timing cover gaskets and water pump gasket. It's not much more money (at least here in the US) even if you don't install them now, might be good to save for a rainy day.

And for the expansion plugs, i would measure the one you need, but there are ford 302 kits that usually have them all.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
So rear main seal IS the rear crankshaft seal. The typical fox vernacular is "front timing cover seal" and "rear main seal". If you state it that way, 99% of us Mustangers would know what you are talking about, at least here in the US.

For the front seal, behind the timing cover, a Timkin 2692 can be used. You can cross-reference that to Fel-pro if you'd like. both should be good.

For the rear main seal, you can go with the Fel Pro BS40620. The sleeve is Fel-pro part number 16250. I would highly recommend the install tool, felpro 16300.

On the transmission it's typically called the "output shaft seal". Timkin 5202 includes the seal and bushing, but the extension housing needs to be removed to install the bushing unless you have access to a special tool designed to to it on the car.

A lot of these seals are included in kits which include other gaskets as well. For example, if you order a Fel Pro TCS45008, you would get the front timing cover seal, as well as the timing cover gaskets and water pump gasket. It's not much more money (at least here in the US) even if you don't install them now, might be good to save for a rainy day.

And for the expansion plugs, i would measure the one you need, but there are ford 302 kits that usually have them all.

Thanks a ton dude !!
Really appreciate the 101.. more so all the recommendations !
Would have loved your thoughts on the bbb industries rack and pinion before ordering.. though I just ordered it from Rock Auto.

Thanks a ton dude !!
Really appreciate the 101.. more so all the recommendations !
Would have loved your thoughts on the bbb industries rack and pinion before ordering.. though I just ordered it from Rock Auto.

I don't have any experience with it so I can't really say.

One recommendation though is that if you are changing the rack and paying to ship parts from the US to Dubai, you should maybe consider an upgrade. many folks here change out the stock Fox racks to SN95 racks, which offer better feel.

Take a read.

The 03-04 cobra rack is hard to find, so a great alternative is to get a 2004 GT rack. In addition, you would need the maximum motorsport steering rack adapter, and a set of Fox inner and outer tie rod ends. After that, it's a direct swap.

Also, if you are ordering parts from Rockauto and want to get something to keep on hand just in case, a new pair of power steering rack Teflon washers is the Dorman 85240 kit. Comes with the two washers needed to attach the PS hoses to the rack. Most new racks come with a set, but if one gets damaged you'll need to track them down. They are about $1/pack on RA so you may want to grab a couple to save

Also, lets see some pics of the car. Was this car always located in the region or was it imported? I see a ton of fox bodies located in the Middle East on Instagram, so always wondered how common they are there.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for sharing !!
I did look into it to the swap.. though quite an expensive affair for me at the moment.

Thanks for the tip on the washers.. next time i order I guess.

The car is GCC specs, which is from the region.. I've had it for over almost two decades now... its mainly stock though.. besides the air filter and shocks.

There use to be way more.. but its a rare sight now.. however there are still quite a few left.. though as parts are scarce now.. it gets hard to maintain.

My car is in the workshop.. and this is the only pic I have on the desktop.

Thanks again for all the help.

salutee

Attachments

• Mustang.jpg
    Mustang.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 170
Reactions: 1 user