Suspension 1990 Gt Sits Lower On Back Driver Side

Wetblanket

Jun 6, 2016
Hello i have a 1990 mustang gt and it sits lower on the rear driver side than anywhere else. Ive read a lot of stuff about the "foxbody lean" But mine only sits lower on the rear driver side. The front is just fine. If i remember correctly it didn't do it when i bought it it only did it after i installed the control arms we removed the quad shocks because that's what the instructions said to do. Ive never changed the suspension for the 2 years ive owned it but i know it has some aftermarket shocks i don't know about springs. Also if i turn hard left it will make a clunk sound like something is hitting or moving. Ive had to change the control arm bushings twice after we put the new control arms in also. They keep wearing out it seems and we grease them properly. Please help!!!!

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

So my car has also been vibrating ever since we changed the flywheel and clutch. Of course when you do this you have the driveshaft out i was wondering if thats my problem. It vibrate at any speed just at like 30 you cant really tell but you can feel it just barely. But 60 and 60+ its bad. My gear shifter even vibrates really bad especially when im going 80 and i put it in neutral .Ive read alot of things about the aluminum driveshaft on how good they are would one of those fix this problem?? Also past 60 my steering has been shaking violently. It shakes like i need to balance my tires at about 50 but if i gas it it starts shaking all over the place like up and down. What could cause this?? Thanks

The flywheels are year specific. The early 255-260-289-302 flywheels had a 28 oz. balance weight and the later 1981 and later 302 flywheels had a 50 oz. balance weight. Make sure that you got the right balance if you replaced the flywheel. The balance weights are cast as part of the flywheel for most flywheels and are not interchangeable.

If you didn't replace the flywheel, here is another thing to check.
The driveshaft rear flange has a dab of yellow paint on it and you line the dab up with a similar dab on the rear axle driveshaft flange. That assures that the balance points are correctly aligned.

The flywheels are year specific. The early 255-260-289-302 flywheels had a 28 oz. balance weight and the later 1981 and later 302 flywheels had a 50 oz. balance weight. Make sure that you got the right balance if you replaced the flywheel. The balance weights are cast as part of the flywheel for most flywheels and are not interchangeable.

If you didn't replace the flywheel, here is another thing to check.
The driveshaft rear flange has a dab of yellow paint on it and you line the dab up with a similar dab on the rear axle driveshaft flange. That assures that the balance points are correctly aligned.
Thank you i will have a look

So my car has also been vibrating ever since we changed the flywheel and clutch. Of course when you do this you have the driveshaft out i was wondering if thats my problem. It vibrate at any speed just at like 30 you cant really tell but you can feel it just barely. But 60 and 60+ its bad. My gear shifter even vibrates really bad especially when im going 80 and i put it in neutral .Ive read alot of things about the aluminum driveshaft on how good they are would one of those fix this problem?? Also past 60 my steering has been shaking violently. It shakes like i need to balance my tires at about 50 but if i gas it it starts shaking all over the place like up and down. What could cause this?? Thanks

If what Jrichker advised doesn't work, change the u-joints.

What do mean by shaking up ad down?

Hello i have a 1990 mustang gt and it sits lower on the rear driver side than anywhere else. Ive read a lot of stuff about the "foxbody lean" But mine only sits lower on the rear driver side. The front is just fine. If i remember correctly it didn't do it when i bought it it only did it after i installed the control arms we removed the quad shocks because that's what the instructions said to do. Ive never changed the suspension for the 2 years ive owned it but i know it has some aftermarket shocks i don't know about springs. Also if i turn hard left it will make a clunk sound like something is hitting or moving. Ive had to change the control arm bushings twice after we put the new control arms in also. They keep wearing out it seems and we grease them properly. Please help!!!!

Thanks

What upper and lower control arms are you using? What bushing material? How much torque does your combo generate?

If what Jrichker advised doesn't work, change the u-joints.

What do mean by shaking up ad down?

What upper and lower control arms are you using? What bushing material? How much torque does your combo generate?

The steering wheel is just shaking extremely bad and my tires are balanced. Im using the sve tubular control arms. No clue how much torqe i have i know its better than stock but no clue

Have the tire balance checked where you had them balanced last time. They should do a recheck for free if they don't change any weights.

How much slack are in the tie rod joints and universal & flex joint steering shaft couplers?

The universal and flex joint steering shaft couplers can be inspected with the car parked on the ground. With the engine off, have a helper rock the steering wheel back and forth while you inspect the universal and flex joint steering shaft couplers for excessive slack. You'll need a sharp eye and a strong light to do a good job.

Support the car on jackstands with the jackstands placed as close to the wheel as possible. With the steering locked, have a helper try to move each front wheel just like it would move if you turned the steering wheel. While they are rocking the wheels, you are under the car watching for slack in the tie rods.