Fox 1990 Just Bought And Started Acting Up. Need Help.

johnny85

Aug 14, 2016
I just bought a 1990 Cobra Clone last week. It has edelbrock performer heads and intake, Moroso CAI, 24lb injectors, BBK long tubes and flowmasters. Car was running great until this past friday. I would get on it and at about 3500rpm it acts like you are feathering the gas. It pulls then its like it lets off then pulls and it keeps doing this. Just riding around the car runs great its not until you go to call for power when it acts up. Saturday I changed the fuel filter to rule that out. I have check all the wires and cleaned the MAS as well. Fuel pressure at idle is about 37lb. What am I missing here? Any help would be great.

• Sponsors (?)

Have you pulled the codes?

If it's tuned, you should see some sort of piggy back chip on the computer in the passenger side kick panel

Sent from my big ass iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Use the search feature on this site.
Type in @jrichker 's name . He had at least a million posts/threads on how to dump the codes for a fox on here-and has great trouble shooting lists to work through once you have the codes

Reactions: 1 user
Well here is something new. I have never had more than 4 gallons in the tank since I had it (1 week now). This morning I filled her up with 93 octane and she ran like a raped ape. Im thinking fuel pump. I will be running the codes at work today as well. Just thought I would share that. What do you all think?

If it was a fuel pump, you might get some lean codes spit back at you.

But honestly, it's really not worth speculating until you have codes in hand. Really does make troubleshooting a lot easier when you can narrow it down

As suggested...

Dump codes sticky

Look at the top of the 5.0 Tech forum where the sticky threads are posted. One of them is how to dump the computer codes. Codes may be present even if the CEL (Check Engine Light) isn’t on. You don’t need a code reader or scanner – all you need is a paper clip, or if your lady friend has a hair pin, that will do the job.
I highly suggest that you read it and follow the instructions to dump the codes. http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/how-to-pull-codes-from-eec4.889006/

Reactions: 1 users
Well here is something new. I have never had more than 4 gallons in the tank since I had it (1 week now). This morning I filled her up with 93 octane and she ran like a raped ape. Im thinking fuel pump. I will be running the codes at work today as well. Just thought I would share that. What do you all think?
Often times when the fuel pump is going out the car won't have any power during WOT but will cruise around just fine. However, a full tank of gas wouldn't "fix" a bad fuel pump. Maybe your gas tank isn't venting properly? I'm curious to see what codes come up.

11 is good!! Fuel pumps are inexpensive to replace but make sure you get new seals while the tank is out. Once back together double check your fuel pressure, should be about 39 psi with vacuum off.

Vent line and everything else under there looked great. The strainer on the original fuel pump had black stuff in it and was very dirty. The end of the pump also had debris in it as well. Changed it out and all seems to be great now.

Reactions: 1 users
Did you check engine running codes too? Technically, you should get three code 11s. Two with engine off, and one running

Sent from my big ass iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
Yes sir you are correct. 3 code 11's. After changing the fuel pump the car is running great! I am taking it to the strip tomorrow to see what she will run.

Reactions: 2 users