1990 Mustang GT Rebuild ~ Need a little advice

MLee23

Dec 31, 2004
Hey everyone. I purchased a 1990 Ford Mustang GT w/ AOD about a year ago off ebay, from miami. The engine has about 115,000 miles on it, and leaks oil (not a ton, but enough) from the oil pan up. The only mods to date are 3:73 gears, Flowmaster Mufflers, Off Road H-Pipe, BBK Intake and a 130 amp alternator. I figure, I'll just rebuild the engine, rather than pay to have all the gaskets replaced...But I'd like to get the engine somewhere around 300HP, a 75HP gain from stock. The transmission is new, but stock, so I'm looking to stick with that, for now. My main concerns are the block, heads, and intake. On Ebay, I can get the GT-40Y Aluminum heads, Cobra Intake Manifold, E303 Cam, ARP Head Bolts and Gaskets from Blue Oval Industries for $1699 Total. This helps me, with everything I need, exept a new block. I am wondering, if the original block could handle this upgrade? A new .30 Bored 302 (306) block would run me about another $800, which I would rather do at a later date, unless its absolutly needed. Also, what do you think about that deal? I'm not looking to take this car to the strip, just to give it some more power around the city. I'm hoping to use some parts from the original engine again (Flywheel, Headers, Vavle Covers, Throttle Body, Etc.) Thanks everyone!

• Sponsors (?)

Budget Upgrades

Also, I might add, I'm hoping to keep the parts total for the upgrade below $2000. I won't be installing these parts myself, so I will have to pay for labor on the upgrades also, which will bring me around $3000 Total.

Pictures

Here she is. I put 17" Cobra Rims on it this year, right before I had to put it away for the winter...Those made a huge difference.

Attachments

• STANG1.JPG
    STANG1.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 154
if you are asking if the stock block can handle 300 horsies, yep. there are folks running blowers on stock shortblocks at the track with 200K+ miles.
nice lookin ride too. :)

Instead of the parts you chose, have you looked into the Trick Flow engine package? It is a set of Twisted Wedge heads, a Stage 1 cam, and their Street Heat intake. I have seen it for $1600. Much more likely to hit 300 with it than the package you mentioned. You may also want to look into upgrading your exhaust to 2 1/2 inches and long tubes if it's in your budget. Honestly, with the AOD, you will probably be shy of 300, but you'll be closer. Nice looking ride BTW.

Hey Thanks!

Thanks guys for the advice. I will def. consider the trick flow package as well. I believe that package comes with the timing gear also, which probably wont hurt :) Do you guys think I will be ok with the stock fuel pump, injectors, and stock mass air flow unit with an upgrade of the heads, cam and intake? Also, how hard is it to change the cam in the block? I will need to replace the oil pan gasket anyway, so the block will be up.

It's cake to change the cam, just be careful and slow so not to nick the bearings, and put the new one in EXACTLY the same orientation as the stock one. You should be good with 19# injectors for up to 320 HP.

generally when you change heads/cam/intake, you want to get a bigger throttle body and MAF. It's kinda like the bottleneck effect. You can have as big of intake/heads as you want, but if you can't get enough air in there, they don't do as much good. Remember your MAF needs to be calibrated for the size of injectors you're gonna use.

just remember though that putting all this money into the engine and none in your tranny is going to kill your hp and torque figures. Fix up that POS AOD before the engine. Get a nice torque converter, valve body, and shift kit along wiht your engine mods. Dont forget the 4:10 gears either.