1991 5.0 GT battery always dying.

Jughead

Founding Member
Feb 9, 2001
Allison Park, PA
I have a 91 GT and since the summer the battery has been dying every couple weeks. For a few months I kept recharging the battery thinking it was the alternator. I replaced the alternator about 2 months ago and bought a new battery last week. Today the battery is completely dead.

The starter is about 1 year old. Any ideas as to why my battery keep losing its charge? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Troubleshooting battery drains:

Typically it is something draining the battery. Small things like glove box or courtesy lights are often the culprits. If you have an aftermarket stereo or alarm system, it is also suspect.

The ideal method is to disconnect the negative terminal, and connect a Digital Multimeter (DVM) between the negative terminal on the battery and the negative cable. Set the DVM on a low current scale of 2-5 amps if it doesn't auto range. Watch the current draw, and then start pulling out fuses. When you see a sudden drop in the current, that circuit is the likely culprit. Note that the computer, radio & clock will draw less than 1/10 amp to keep the settings alive.

See http://assets.fluke.com/appnotes/automotive/beatbook.pdf. You will need the Adobe Acrobat viewer which is also a free download – Adobe - Adobe Reader download - All versions