1991 ECC Delete

tubbaguts

May 22, 2017
Hello,

I have a 1991 LX 5.0 and as part of the engine rebuild, we have decided to remove the factory fuel injection and ECC and go with an Edelbrock Pro-Flo3 system. I am looking for tips, tricks and gotchas on how to remove the ECC and the harness. I am thinking I need to do some rewiring in order to have the fuel pump work, the A/C and ???? not sure what else may be routed through the harness. Any help is appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Did I post to wrong forum section or is removing the ECC and harness something people don't do.

The stock system is pretty good so unless you're doing something radical I would recommend keeping it. If I was going aftermarket I would go with ProMs setup. It's plug and play for a foxbody and allows you to use stock style intakes.

Pro-M Engine Management System

Want a stand alone ECU that I can tune on my own. From a cost perspective, by the time I purchase a new intake, injectors, MAF, and throttle body to match the cam and heads, I can get a complete system that does not rely on the factory ECC or require me to pay someone else to tune

Ok what cam/heads..... let's talk money, power, options.
I will give you an opinion based on what you need, depending on the ability of the unit you are after we could do this thing for half the cost of the edelbrock system.

Here is a wiring diagram for the EEC in your vehicle. This should give you an idea of what all is in that harness.
88-91_5.0_EEC_Wiring_Diagram.gif

Reactions: 1 user
I think you are creating an expensive headache.
The stock computer will put up pretty much with anything you could throw at it with a 302 based NA engine.
The right sized injectors and meter and it's fine.

Want a stand alone ECU that I can tune on my own. From a cost perspective, by the time I purchase a new intake, injectors, MAF, and throttle body to match the cam and heads, I can get a complete system that does not rely on the factory ECC or require me to pay someone else to tune

For half the cost, you can probably put together a Megasquirt system that will replace the factory EEC, use the existing wiring setup, and give you the control you seek.

The Edelbrock system is really geared more towards carb guys who want to add modern EFI to their engine. I'm not saying it won't do what you want, but there are other ways that might be easier/cheaper to achieve your goals.

I have a 1991 LX 5.0 and as part of the engine rebuild, we have decided to remove the factory fuel injection and ECC and go with an Edelbrock Pro-Flo3 system.

When you say "we" are you working with a shop who might be pushing this particular setup? What are the specs on the engine rebuild?

So thank you to all who replied. I am now rethinking my choices. Here is what I have already. 302 block bored .030, Scat stroker crank and associate piston and rods for a 347, 10-10.5:1 compression. TF Twisted Wedge 190r 56cc heads, TF Track max Stage 2 cam, Wahbro in-tank fuel pump, MAC equal length shorty headers, AOD transmission with TCI Street Fighter torque converter, Perf Auto Hold valve body, 4.10 gear set. We (my son and I) want the ability to add/change tunes depending on what we are doing with the car. We will do some weekend bracket racing, car cruises and daily driving. We don't want to have to pay a speed shop $$$ every time we want to change the tune. We are not fans of the giant hunk of aluminum Ford calls an intake manifold so we are looking at stand alone systems. I have looked at Fi-Tech, Holley and Edelbrock. Thoughts on intake, fuel injection and ECU are appreciated.

You could use something like this.
20170731_190622.jpg

I took a Parker funnel web and drilled it for injectors. Worked fantastic.
A megasquirt is a low cost option as a standalone system. Check my Sig for the link to our megasquirt thread.