1991 Mustang motor mounts replacement

Blueinfan

Mar 18, 2021
Temecula
Hi All,
my motor mounts on my 1991 Mustang LX 5.0 convertible are really in need of replacing. So I bought some poly ones from LMR.

My question is where do I lift the engine up so I have enough clearance to remove n add?

I do not have an engine lift. The car sits on tire cribs.

Attachments

• 519061D8-F8A5-40D8-95DB-32FAFE300731.jpeg
    519061D8-F8A5-40D8-95DB-32FAFE300731.jpeg
    399.5 KB · Views: 59
  • Sponsors (?)

Carefully position a few blocks of wood on the oil pan (not on the drain plug) and Jack from there carefully. That's what I did when I installed the energy suspension poly mounts on my car. It worked well, but be ready for a fight. The energy suspension mounts are physically larger than the stock rubber mounts and can be tricky getting them in and past everything.

Be very careful removing the mount bolts from the block. I snapped one off which became a nightmare. Good luck, hope all goes smoothly for you.

Reactions: 1 user
I have lifted engines up on the damper, not reeaalllyy a smart place but I've gotten away with it a few times, I don't recommend the bottom of the oil pan but :shrug:
What I have done when changing engine mounts was I took a 2x4 on end against the pan rail on the side I was working on, lift it enough to get the mount out. Slide over to the other side.
Oh, and don't bump your head

Reactions: 1 users
I get nervous about using the damper too
It is the best way to go
I like most dealer techs started out as a motor man and oil pans were our business
So many 460 trucks and so many leaks 5.8 and 302 arrrggghhh!
Oil pan gaskets used to squalk right out of them

• Agree
Small block of 2x4 wood under the oil pan. Go slow, listen for noises and you'll be fine.

I went with local auto parts store rubber bushings. No complaints and a fairly easy install.

Thank you all! I was finally able to switch out those mounts. I removed the oil filter and lifted the engine from the oil pan that is closer to the swaybar. Took me about 3 hours. But it's done. Now off to the transmission mount.

Reactions: 4 users
Good deal, jacking it under the oil pan is your best bet, so long as you use proper wood blocking and take your time. You can almost always feel the resistance build at the upper limit before you bend the oil pan and stop, if you go slowly, pay attention and take your time.

I always worried about damaging the harmonic balancer, or bending the nose of the crank or damaging the front crank seal, so I personally do not suggest jacking on the balancer unless absolutely necessary, but to each their own.

• Agree
Good deal, jacking it under the oil pan is your best bet, so long as you use proper wood blocking and take your time. You can almost always feel the resistance build at the upper limit before you bend the oil pan and stop, if you go slowly, pay attention and take your time.

I always worried about damaging the harmonic balancer, or bending the nose of the crank or damaging the front crank seal, so I personally do not suggest jacking on the balancer unless absolutely necessary, but to each their own.

Thank you all for the help.

While removing the transmission mount the damn right/ passenger screw on the mount won’t budge.

I have been spraying WD40 for a week now n will attempt to remove it to day.

I’ve heard that heating up the bolt for 30sec with a torch will work. Is this true?

Is there anything that can be damaged if I heat that screw up?

Attachments

• D3966351-E563-44C8-9129-AC8611C4E9C9.jpeg
    D3966351-E563-44C8-9129-AC8611C4E9C9.jpeg
    296.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 951AFD05-713A-4EC7-A650-B8841298BA21.jpeg
    951AFD05-713A-4EC7-A650-B8841298BA21.jpeg
    449.6 KB · Views: 55
  • CCE4C21C-51CB-496B-9381-B3B5E9758C74.jpeg
    CCE4C21C-51CB-496B-9381-B3B5E9758C74.jpeg
    481.3 KB · Views: 55
  • 68ABB0ED-47D9-4B5F-941B-84196A0FB39D.jpeg
    68ABB0ED-47D9-4B5F-941B-84196A0FB39D.jpeg
    671.7 KB · Views: 49
  • 56A67DED-C55C-40BD-8D3F-518B17ECF1D6.jpeg
    56A67DED-C55C-40BD-8D3F-518B17ECF1D6.jpeg
    385.1 KB · Views: 55
Blueinfan,
Absolutely
Back and forth with heat and cold
I get it cherry red where I can and then hit it with something cold like Freeze off
Jaguar Fulcrum bolts freeze up and that is the only way
Those new induction heat gizmos are killer and one of them will be in my toolbox soon

Thank you all for the help.

While removing the transmission mount the damn right/ passenger screw on the mount won’t budge.

I have been spraying WD40 for a week now n will attempt to remove it to day.

I’ve heard that heating up the bolt for 30sec with a torch will work. Is this true?

Is there anything that can be damaged if I heat that screw up?
BE VERY CAREFUL!!!!! The right side rear on my car is the one that snapped off on me , nearly flush with the block.

Nothing I tried worked to get it out, including heating the block cherry red in that area several times with my touch, PB blaster for days, etc.

I ended up drilling it out and tapping the hole to 3/8 for now. Its holding just fine, but my engine is stock, no slicks, etc.

Total multi week nightmare and I nearly conceded and pulled the engine, but got it tapped straight so that worked. If I didnt have a lift in my shop I dont think I could have gotten it tapped straight as it was very difficult/ limited access to work.

Keep working it as you've been and dont snap it off like I did and spare yourself the pain and aggravation. Good luck.

Last edited: