Engine 1991 Power steering bypass

JPro1248

Jul 11, 2018
Colorado
I'm trying to bypass my power steering pump. I have a manual rack already in the car and I have eliminated the A/C compressor. I decided to leave the power steering pump in just to make it easy to get a belt. I am now ready to try and see if the car starts but I am not sure if I can just feed the power steering pump back into itself? I seen a post on here earlier today when I was searching but it didn't seem to answer my question as the person that posted it had a power rack in it and was just looking for a temporary fix until they could get a new pump.

• Sponsors (?)

lol I've never tried this so I can't speak to if it would hold up or not. Maybe it'll blow the lines off or maybe it wouldn't but why not just get the correct length belt?

When I tried to run no A/C and no Power steering after measuring it I got a measurement of 25 and 1/4 closest I could get was 25 exactly or 27.5 so I opted to keep the power steering pump on and just run an 84.5 inch belt.

The output line of the PS pump is high pressure. You can't really feed it back to itself without an orifice online. Best thing to do is get a custom accessory setup to run WP, crank and alt. You could also research standard rotation water pumps and flipping the tensioner arm to pull up

When I tried to run no A/C and no Power steering after measuring it I got a measurement of 25 and 1/4 closest I could get was 25 exactly or 27.5 so I opted to keep the power steering pump on and just run an 84.5 inch belt.

ah, i've always either flipped the stock tensioner or used a march adjustable alt setup