1992 363ci Foxbody PIMPxs first start-up questions

I have not ordered the expansion plug for the ECU. Do you recommend it as a feature I should be using in this application? It's something I think i'll need for the CAS down the road when the new engine is in for sure.
It just allows you to add any extras you could think of needing. such as sensors ect... some like to add oil pressure and fuel level to the datalogs

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

It just allows you to add any extras you could think of needing. such as sensors ect... some like to add oil pressure and fuel level to the datalogs

You are going to want the extras for sure. You may not think so now but in the near future you will. The ones that Steve mentioned are the normal inputs desired along with fuel pressure. If you ever decide to go to a Digital Dash or use Shadow Dash you are going to wait the inputs

You are going to want the extras for sure. You may not think so now but in the near future you will. The ones that Steve mentioned are the normal inputs desired along with fuel pressure. If you ever decide to go to a Digital Dash or use Shadow Dash you are going to wait the inputs

Shadow dash looks really cool! I had no idea that kind of thing existed - That would be significantly cheaper then running a whole custom gauge setup too. I will def get the expansion plug addition when I put in the 363 for the fuel pressure and oil pressure for ease of use.

Yeah there are two different types:

One being app based being the Shadow Dash that is good at displaying gauge values/readings

Second being a little more detailed you can replace your current instrument cluster with a Digital Dash that directly readings from your ECU. It just depends on what you wanting to do with the car.

Reactions: 1 user
Just received the ECU in the mail from the folks at Stinger (Thanks Shannon!). Everything looks like it came in nicely - Def look forward to messing around with it this weekend! Side question: Have you guys relocated your ACT (IAT) sensor from the lower intake?

So I spent a bunch of time prepping the car and soldering wires today and verifying the wires gave me pause today. I wired the O2's according to the instructions stinger gave me for the spartan 2 controller to the STOCK O2 harness. When I pin out the other end of the controller the red wire doesn't ring out to the 12v input from the stock connection, is there a diagram for the O2's that indicate what should and shouldn't be hot? Getting a lot of contradicting info via Google. This also comes with a warning not to put the heater ground to pin 46 - so I'm being extra paranoid here (safety first!).

I've wired two of these bad boys one step at a time referencing the instructions every step of the way and they both ring out the same. I'm confident I'm doing this right but I don't want to :leghump: this up and blow a bunch of money replacing these controllers. Has anyone else used the stock harness exclusively here?

Ok so how did you wire them in? from your description I assume you are mounting the controllers in the engine bay? Pin 49 is the Hego ground and should also be grounded to the engine block, I dont see a way to mix up the heater ground[pin49] and the SG[pin46] if your only utilizing the O2 harness wiring. The power for the O2 come off the igntion switch.

Ok so how did you wire them in? from your description I assume you are mounting the controllers in the engine bay? Pin 49 is the Hego ground and should also be grounded to the engine block, I dont see a way to mix up the heater ground[pin49] and the SG[pin46] if your only utilizing the O2 harness wiring. The power for the O2 come off the igntion switch.

You're right. More or less looking for confirmation. The only thing that has me on tilt for the whole thing is that the other end of the controller (that connects to the O2 sensor, already factory completed) just doesn't ring out power to the red wire on the other end at the sensor itself. My assumption was that since it went through the controller the path would be different - The Navy in me says red/pin 1 should always be power though.

So to recap on that - Red wire 12v wired to 12v source IAW directions. Red wire on the other end (the end I do nothing to) does not ring out that same 12v, a different wire does.

I haven't mounted them yet. That comes today - Not sure where the controllers are going to go yet, but I know the wires are gonna be long AF with the addition of the controllers, so I predict a change when the motor swaps out in the future. I appreciate your help thus far, thank you =)

I would not worry about anything going to the sensor from the controller, just worry about the controller wiring to the factory harness. I am sure there are transistor switching circuits blocking diodes and rectifier circuits in the controller so it makes little sense to worry about the power path through the controller.

So I ran into some really funky things with my wiring harness I was unhappy about (and the old harness was ugly AF), so I ordered a whole new harness specifically from Stinger. I should have this sucker in and ready to go this Sunday, but like anything else with this car, we'll see.

While you are working on the wiring harness you should IMO go ahead and wire in oil pressure, fuel level, etc while you are doing it.

Fuel level will have to wait for the expansion plug a couple months down the road when I swap engines (and put in a new fuel tank+pump). Oil pressure and Water temp are wired to the ECU currently. On the finishing stages of soldering in a handful of wires.

I have a few questions if either of you two have experience with the ron francis wiring harness Stinger offers - Do you guys know what the purple TFI-START and the light blue ELECTRIC FAN wires do? Provided instructions from Ron Francis do not provide any guidance WTF these wires do.

I don't know if I've said it yet - But thank you VERY much for the help that I get from here. Seriously wouldn't be doing this nearly as well as I am now without the advice/help/guidance from you guys and the search function =)

I can only assume the push to start purple wire is supposed to get 12v while cranking. This is the function of the push to start pin on the grey TFI modules, this forces the timing to 10* when the pin has 12v on it so the car starts easily. {does this wire come from the ECU or.... ]
The blue electric fan wire is likely to trigger a relay [or comes from a relay that is part of the harness] to run the fans.

if you have a link to the harness info i can help more

I can only assume the push to start purple wire is supposed to get 12v while cranking. This is the function of the push to start pin on the grey TFI modules, this forces the timing to 10* when the pin has 12v on it so the car starts easily. {does this wire come from the ECU or.... ]
The blue electric fan wire is likely to trigger a relay [or comes from a relay that is part of the harness] to run the fans.

if you have a link to the harness info i can help more

https://www.ronfrancis.com/images/PM75-INST.pdf This is the instructions and there is a vague match for the purple wire on a table. It's just not where it's stated to be (under the dash) and has a slightly different name. By the way your describing it I'm willing to bet that's what it is. However - The blue wire (light blue - ELECTRIC FAN) is straight up missing in the instructions.

I'm coming to a stopping point tonight. I've got three or four more things to solder in. Keyed 12v (Wiring this in place of the old relay), BATTERY (Going on the starter Solenoid), TFI->START (Other side of the starter solenoid), and Electric Fan if that's something I can do. OH and Fuel pump (Also going on the old fuel pump relay wiring), so five. Should be like 30 minutes of work Tuesday.

I'm very tempted to do a write-up on this because of the pure lack of information related to the harness from Ron Francis. I think it might help in the future.

looks like relay D is for the cooling fan, your blue wire. It has a current value of 20A in the documentation.... thats not a very big fan.. lol.

what fan do you plan on using? @Mustang5L5 has a part# to a volvo fan that can be setup PWM controlled, with no expensive add on controller its part of the fan assembly.

Haha. Yeah - Me and a buddy were looking at the wire and compared it to what I currently had and were scratching our head. The doc for Stinger is clear as day when it comes to turbo-coupes. I wonder if this was designed with them in mind, however this isn't a turbo-coupe harness (or wasn't mean to be), it's for 5.0's!

I've had this for close to a decade, and I SURELY don't remember it being this expensive. https://lmr.com/item/FLX-185/79-93-Ford-Mustang-50L-Flex-a-Lite-Electric-Fan-Kit - My 23 year old self would in no way be able to afford that. I think I'm just gonna see if I can hack together something and use the harness relay as a relay for the Fan relay/control module. A mouthful but it should work.