1992 5.0 possible electrical short??

Fordfanatic89

May 28, 2011
I just acquired a 1992 5.0 coupe. It keeps blowing the number 8 fuse. This fuse is for the interior dome light, power mirrors, cigarette lighter, radio, etc. Anyone have the wiring diagram for this or know of where to get one?
Thanks for your time, much appreciated

• Sponsors (?)

Check for a coin stuck inside the cig lighter receptacle.

Otherwise, disconnect the items and plug them back in till you plug one in and the fuse blows.

Stock radio, now unplugged. I have now unplugged the cig. lighter, power mirror switch, glove box bulb, dome lamp as well. This is all I know is on this circuit. I guess now it's time to start searching for a grounded power wire/short. Any ideas on where to find a wiring diagram?

Update: Ok so I have narrowed the short down to the black connector that goes from the dash back the rear of the car. I have continuity to the mirror switch but not the dome lamp on the LGY wire. Does anyone know which side the wires run on for the dome lamp and which pillar they go up? It's looking like the headliner is going to have to come down. it's a 1992 coupe SSP if that matters.

I think the connector that blows the fuse is going to be C203. I also cannot find the luggage lamp in the trunk....

The dome lamp isn't connected to the LG/Y wire. The dome lamp comes off of a BK/LB wire connected to the instrument panel dimmer switch. If you suspect C203 have you disconnected the LH door switch and/or the mirror switch?

With the SSP package the car just might not have a trunk light.
When you check the door switch also check the wiring inside the accordion boot where the wiring comes through. The wire have been known to fray and cause problems.

Found the short!

After taking out the driver's seat pulling up the carpet....and removing many other interior parts. I started checking into the trunk lamp which is missing. I found a wire spliced into the circuit for the power to the trunk lamp and was bare wire it was grounding out in the trunk! Taped it up and we are good to go.