1992 Mustang Gt Vortech V1 Install = Lower Intake Oil Leak. Help!

rafael

Jul 13, 2017
So I have a 1992 Mustang GT 5spd. And I decided to take it to a mechanic and have them install a top end kit along with a Vortech V1 (with smaller 8 rib pulley). The parts include GT40X heads, TFS1 cam, 1.6 SVO roller rockers, hardened pushrods, Ford racing roller lifters, Edelbrock lower and upper intake manifolds, Walbro 255 fuel pump, new fuel filter, all new ARP bolts. After the mechanic installed everything, I paid, took the car home and stopped at the gas station and the car was leaking a lot of oil through the back of the lower intake manifold (it is spraying the oil then leaking onto the exhaust). Is there supposed to be a gasket back there or just sealant? I grabbed a mirror and checked it out and it seems the mechanic used a lot of sealant? I need some HELP! I am going to take the car back very soon. The mechanic suggested adding an oil catch can so I bought it just need to talke the car back so that he can fix the mistake and add the catch can. HAS ANYONE HAD THIS HAPPEN? OR ANYTHING SIMILAR? Did it happen because the car might be boosting too much or just a bad mechanic job?

• Sponsors (?)

Most people including myself don't use the end rail gaskets and just apply a thick bead of silicone.
Gaskets can tend to squeeze out of position. Could be just not enough silicone or a failed gasket.
Does it leak only after driving under boost?
Have the heads and or lower intake been milled possibly causing alignment issues?

any mechanic that would let a car go out with a known oil leak that bad is a crook
either he did a bad install on the lower intake, did not torque down the bolts properly, did not install the PCV properly
Are the heads and intake new or used- have they been milled at all
what size injectors, MAF and throttle body?
what spark plugs
Did you replace the timing chain and get an SFI balancer.
Did you upgrade the cooling system?

Take the car back to the mechanic and tell him that he needs to fix it and that you dont want the car back until it is not leaking oil and running properly.
Is this guy capable/going to tune the car as well? You just cant throw a blower on a car without dialing in a proper tune or things go boom

You will quickly learn that paying others to do work on these cars is often very costly in more ways than one.
Either learn to fix your car yourslf or be prepared to deal with these kind of nutswingers

Reactions: 1 users
Most people including myself don't use the end rail gaskets and just apply a thick bead of silicone.
Gaskets can tend to squeeze out of position. Could be just not enough silicone or a failed gasket.
Have the heads and or lower intake been milled possibly causing alignment issues?
I'm thinking the sealant had a hole or something. It doesn't spray right away only after the car has warmed up then it sprays the oil. No nothing was milled.

I'm thinking the sealant had a hole or something. It doesn't spray right away only after the car has warmed up then it sprays the oil. No nothing was milled.
any mechanic that would let a car go out with a known oil leak that bad is a crook
either he did a bad install on the lower intake, did not torque down the bolts properly, did not install the PCV properly
Are the heads and intake new or used- have they been milled at all
what size injectors, MAF and throttle body?
what spark plugs
Did you replace the timing chain and get an SFI balancer.
Did you upgrade the cooling system?

Take the car back to the mechanic and tell him that he needs to fix it and that you dont want the car back until it is not leaking oil and running properly.
Is this guy capable/going to tune the car as well? You just cant throw a blower on a car without dialing in a proper tune or things go boom

You will quickly learn that paying others to do work on these cars is often very costly in more ways than one.
Either learn to fix your car yourslf or be prepared to deal with these kind of nutswingers
I'm going to take it back but the guy keeps saying he is busy. He said to come this saturday but let's see what excuse he has. It has 42lb injectors and no tune yet I will soon though. I'm waiting to upgrade my tranny to tune it because I can blow the stock one if I don't upgrade that's what I was told. I'm not 100% sure what MAF he use son it. I don't drive the car at all it's just sitting in my driveway right now.

Plz don't listen to the idiots who run "no gaskets" lmfao.

Most of them have zero mechanical education and learned off the forums.. use the goddamn gaskets. Let them cure and seal proper.. these people online are insane

Most of them have zero mechanical education and learned off the forums.. use the goddamn gaskets. Let them cure and seal proper.. these people online are insane
Yeah why listen to countless people who have had success doing something a certain way lol.
We all know most people on this forum have no mechanical ability and the factory way can NEVER be improved upon smh.
It can be done successfully both ways, your choice op,

He totally dug up a one and a half year old thread just to grind his "use the gaskets!" axe.

In regards to the original post, there probably was either insufficient cure time on the sealant or the mechanic missed a spot.

Reactions: 1 user

This guy..... it's like he lost his girl to a man who only uses RTV to seal an entire engine or something. It's been common practice among people who work on there fords for many many years now to toss the end gaskets in the trash and use RTV with great results provided the install has brain cells.

In regards to the original post, I bet the bolts just had to be re torqued after the few heat cycles

Reactions: 1 user
This guy..... it's like he lost his girl to a man who only uses RTV to seal an entire engine or something. It's been common practice among people who work on there fords for many many years now to toss the end gaskets in the trash and use RTV with great results provided the install has brain cells.

In regards to the original post, I bet the bolts just had to be re torqued after the few heat cycles
Sounds like his girl made a good choice lol

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users