1993 2.3L Mustang Dead, Help

Swarzkopf

Sep 23, 2004
Pittsburgh
Hello,

In addition to my 95 5.0, my wife and I own a 93 LX 2.3l/automatic Mustang with 117,000 miles.

Today in traffic the car died and would not start back up. When it stalled, it simply stopped running, there was no chugging, clanking, or weird noises.

Upon inspection, I found that the fuel pressure is fine and the plugs are getting spark. However, pulling back the timing belt cover and turning the key reveals that the timing belt is not spinning. The belt does seem to be totally intact.

I haven't looked into it further at this point. Anything specific that seems to go on these motors that would lead to the timing belt not spinning?

Any feedback is appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Check to make sure there is plenty of tension in the belt and adjust the tensioner if needed. If that's fine, check if the crank pully for the timing is turning and if it is intact. If it sounds like the engine is cranking, atleast you know the crank does spin, so the pully could have come loose or broke. Check for any wobbling or a lack of spin and you'll know something is up right there.
My '93 LX has some 150,000 miles on it and never seemed to have had a problem with the timing.

Swarzkopf said:
Hello,

In addition to my 95 5.0, my wife and I own a 93 LX 2.3l/automatic Mustang with 117,000 miles.

Today in traffic the car died and would not start back up. When it stalled, it simply stopped running, there was no chugging, clanking, or weird noises.

Upon inspection, I found that the fuel pressure is fine and the plugs are getting spark. However, pulling back the timing belt cover and turning the key reveals that the timing belt is not spinning. The belt does seem to be totally intact.

I haven't looked into it further at this point. Anything specific that seems to go on these motors that would lead to the timing belt not spinning?

Any feedback is appreciated.
Make sure the teeth on the timing belt aren't chewed off. That might solve your problem.

If the timing belt gets oil, grease or antifreeze on it, usually it's not long before its teeth start falling off. I had it happen a few times. The belt is not that difficult to replace. I did one in a Sears parking lot at 11 pm with the only tools I had purchased from Sears that night.

The belt can be broken and still 'appear' to be intact, if the break was below the tensioner. It's an easy fix; the hardest part is removing the harmonic balancer bolt. Do a search and you'll find two techniques: One is to simply use an impact wrench (if you have one), the other is to brace a pull handle/socket, and bump the engine over with the starter.
Good luck with it.

Thanks alot guys, I appreciate all the input.

Fixing the 2.3L is on hold right now. I decided to get my 5.0L on the road first as it was torn down roller rockers/intake manifold/throttle body+couple of deletes. I should be finished this week and I'll let you all know how it goes with the LX.

Thanks again.