Forced Induction 1993 - Can I run my X303 Cam with Supercharger?

Fox5-0

Dec 20, 2018
Kansas City, MO
Hey guys, I purchased a Vortech S-Trim V1 Supercharger and am getting ready to bolt it on. Will be running around 8psi of boost. My only concern has to do with my current X303 cam. To be honest, I really don't want to swap the cam unless it is absolutely necessary. I know the ABC cams are dated technology and a custom cam would be best. I'm also aware that the F303 cam would have been more preferred. However, it looks like the specs on the F303 are similar to the X. Will this cam be fine to use? Is there anything else I should know? It will be professionally tuned once installed. Thanks in advance!

Parts List: AFR 185 Heads, 42lb Injectors, Trick Flow Track Heat Intake. DSS Racing Forged Pistons, 9:1 Compression, Vortech S-Trim V1

• Sponsors (?)

I think it could work ok on a belt driven sc system. First make sure the rest of the engine components support the higher power band of the 303. Then when you setup the sc, use a pulley combo that hits max boost right around the top end rpm of the cam profile. The point I’m thinking of is, you don’t want max boost hitting at 5500rpm when the cam profile isn’t finished until 6200.

I think it could work ok on a belt driven sc system. First make sure the rest of the engine components support the higher power band of the 303. Then when you setup the sc, use a pulley combo that hits max boost right around the top end rpm of the cam profile. The point I’m thinking of is, you don’t want max boost hitting at 5500rpm when the cam profile isn’t finished until 6200.

Thanks John! That definitely makes sense. I will look into that right now. My biggest fear is losing a large amount of boost out the tailpipe due to the cam. Definitely trying to avoid that

The x cam will be efficient at a higher rpm. So try and make the boost come in a little later. If you produce boost at a lower rpm, you may less out of it.

With a belt driven sc, you can probably get away with it by slowing the blower down some. In a turbo application, it might be harder to make it work since turbos tend to make boost early.