Fuel 1993 LX 5.0 5-speed - Starting/Idle issues

Hi,
I just joined this morning so I hope I get this thread in the right spot. I put it under "Fuel" because my issue had to do with an accelerator cable my son and I just installed.

First, the back story: We got this car last December as my son's first car, he's a Fox body fan so we searched until we found what seemed like a good car that he could learn to work on while he drove it. We've been dumping money into it for several months now and have made a lot of improvements. One of these improvements, an accelerator cable replacement, led to my current issue.

The car was someone's hot rod / weekend track car when we got it, it runs solid and strong with a pretty choppy idle (someone installed a fairly aggressive cam). My son started noticing that the accelerator was a bit sticky and since it's a 25 year old car, we decided maybe the cable needed replaced. Working under the dash to get it installed was rough, I'm not all that small and there's no room to work to hook the cable to the accelerator pedal. Anyway, we got the cable in and in my haste to try it out, I started the car before I hooked up the other end of the cable to the throttle body. The car started right up, I heard a strange sound that I hadn't heard before (kind of like a solenoid making an adjustment) and I shut it off. I finished hooking up the cable to the throttle body and got the cruise control part of it hooked back up, went to start it again, and it would only crank, not start.

We had some time yesterday and fooled with it some. We checked for spark and had that so I shot a little starting fluid in the breather hole on the throttle body. It started right up but didn't idle, it settled at about 3,000 rpm. I reached down and pushed the accelerator lever on the throttle body closed. The rpm's came down but I couldn't get it down to idle rpm's, I didn't want to force it too hard.

My question is, has anyone else ever experienced this? I'm thinking now that maybe I need to adjust the throttle position sensor, could that have gotten out of whack? The accelerator feels good in the car, it looks like it operates the accelerator lever on the throttle body good, but I thought maybe I'd ask here what else I might need to look at.
Thanks.
K.C.

• Sponsors (?)

I'm sure there will be members that will chime in here to help, I'm going to help you help yourself, in the 5.0 tech forum there is a 5.0 technical/how to section, in there you will find a lot of diagnostic and install/repair threads, down at the bottom you will find trouble shooting stuff, the 'surging idle checklist' and the 'cranks but no start checklist' are great and has info on setting base idle, that will help you get that throttle cable working correctly, also the is tps setting instruction that needs to be done after you get the base idle right. I
I hope you have a repair manual, you can get them off ebay, a haynes or Chilton manual is good but try to get a ford repair manual, they are more in-depth.
Post any specific questions you have and the members will guide you, you could also post pics of what you two have done and the progress you've made. Remember, we love pics, now get busy so that kid ain't late for school.

Thanks, I've checked whatever I had access to before I joined, I'm sure I've probably got access to more stuff now. I've read the 'cranks but no start' checklist as well, great work by whoever posted it. I also have a manual, I sometimes find those more vague and useless than these forums. LMR puts out a lot of videos that I've found helpful when we're doing various bolt-ons that I've bought from them.

I'll try to get some pics posted soon, it's actually a pretty cool car, the notchbacks seem kind of hard to find these days. I'm old enough that 'old Mustang' means '60s and early '70s Mustangs that kids were still able to afford when I was in high school. This '93 still seems kind of new to me until I realized it's 25 years old now. Time has a way of slipping by if you aren't paying attention, I guess. We're working on a front sway bar install this weekend, maybe I'll take some pics. Whoever owned it before threw the original away, I guess when they set it up for weekend track duty. I had to locate original brackets because those were long gone too.

Lots of experienced members here and some have contributed to how too threads, jrichker is one to thank for a lot of that stuff along with several others. They definitely make me seem smarter than I really am!