1993 Mustang 2.3 L Automatic A4LD Transmission - Help

SuperSayow

Mar 3, 2019
Washington
Hi,
We took my sons 1993 Fox in to a transmission shop to do a transmission swap. The replacement is a used transmission from a 1989 Fox. All indications is that this is a reliable swap with no major issues. However, the shop mechanics installed the transmission before checking any connections. They are claiming that the 1993 Fox has 3 connections while the 89 only has 2 connections which is leaving a third with no where to connect. I only spoke with them over the phone but I do not understand entirely what the issue is. I have looked at the harness connections to buy of the web and all show only two connections. Is it possible that they are talking about pins in the connections themselves. I am doing as much investigation as possible but cannot physically see the problem until Monday. The 1989 transmission is in and on the rack but they cannot connect the harness. I am not understanding this issue and can find no other threads on this occurrence by other posters.
HELP!

• Sponsors (?)

If it is a 2.3 car, Its an A4LD, totally different trans from the AOD, and yes, there are at least two versions, the earler two solenoid one and the later three solenoid version. Iirc, my 89 had the two solenoid unit. It controls the torque converter lockup clutch and the overdrive solenoid, which holds off od until the right speed. I would have to look up what the third solenoid controls, its been a while since I replaced one of these. I would not try to use the trans on a car that was not wired for it, either way.

Reactions: 1 user
If you had original automatic car you only have two connectors at transmission. If it was a original standard you would have three connections. So you only need two for the t5 to work. So I believe the back up and the speed sensor. And your good.

rcdgl is correct

there are differences in the years of a4ld's also differences between ranger and mustang and explorer and astro and....well you get the idea They are not "all the same" but since almost nobody cares about a 4 cylinder Fox body Mustang, there is VERY little reliable information out there for them, period.

Reactions: 1 user
On the 3 wire a4ld one wire tells the trans when to shift to 4th and one wire tells the trans to lock the convertor. On the two wire a4ld 4th gear is hydraulically controlled and the convertor is still told when to lock up