1993 Mustang Horn Fuse Keeps Blowing

93gtmustang

5 Year Member
Oct 21, 2006
I have to get an inspection sticker and my horn fuse keeps blowing.
When I put a new fuse in the horn will work. It seems like after starting the car, that the fuse blows.
Any ideas?
Only thing I can think of that relates to this is that the cigarette light got stuck in a couple weeks ago and after that I noticed that the horn didn't work.
I got the lighter to come out, and I left it out.
Thanks for the help

• Sponsors (?)

Here's a repeat of an earlier post ...

The horn circuit has a button that supplies ground, a relay that uses the button to switch the horns on and off, and two horns. The relay reduces the current that the horn button has to carry. This makes it possible to use a small and simple switch and slip ring on the steering wheel.

attachment.php

The horns typically develop an internal short to ground, which causes the fuses to blow. :eek:

The horns are located under the car on the driver's side, forward of the front wheel well. Disconnect BOTH horns, replace the fuse: if the fuse blows immediately, the problem is most likely in the cigar lighter circuit. If not, then press the horn button on the steering wheel: if the fuse blows the problem is in the wiring between the horn relay and the horn. If doesn't blow when you press the horn button, connect ONE of the horns and try again. If it still doesn't blow the fuse, connect the other horn. Chances are that the first horn you re-connect will blow the fuse. Whatever horn blows the fuse at this point has an internal short and is trash. Time for a trip to the junkyard... :crazy: