1994-1995 Cobra brake booster/5 lug disc swap

txstang347

Aug 9, 2007
I'm looking at buying a cobra brake booster for a 5 lug disc swap into my '91 vert. The brake booster does NOT come complete with master cylinder or lines.

Anyone out there have any experience with figment of the new brake booster? Can I use any master cylinder or even possibly the '91 master cylinder or would I have to track down a master cylinder being sold separate? What's a good price for the brake booster alone. The guy is asking $50.

Thanks,
Joe

• Sponsors (?)

Any Master cylinder for a Mustang will bolt up to it, although if you are doing 4-wheel disks, you don't want to run the stock MC. You want either a '93 Cobra MC or a 1994-1995 GT/V6 or Cobra MC.

The Cobra booste will fit, but it's physucally larger so it will require elongation of one of the mount holes and some clever manuvering to get it in, but it will go in.

$50 is decent if it's a Cobra booster. I'd have to see what it looks like though. If it's all rusted up i wouldn't want it.

Any Master cylinder for a Mustang will bolt up to it, although if you are doing 4-wheel disks, you don't want to run the stock MC. You want either a '93 Cobra MC or a 1994-1995 GT/V6 or Cobra MC.

The Cobra booste will fit, but it's physucally larger so it will require elongation of one of the mount holes and some clever manuvering to get it in, but it will go in.

$50 is decent if it's a Cobra booster. I'd have to see what it looks like though. If it's all rusted up i wouldn't want it.

Thanks for the quick replies guys.

Is there any reason I should "jump" on this sale as a "really good deal" or could I just buy any 94-04 brake booster with any master cylinder? The only master cylinder I could find on ebay and other sources at the moment came down to a Autozone $114 piece (expensive!).

I'm looking at buying all the parts for the all disc brake swap. I'm looking at a set of 99-04 dual piston PBRs and rotors for $100/pair and 96-04 spindle/hubs $140/pair. About $265 after shipping for the front end.

I know that I've read to go with 94/95 spindles because it keeps the same track width as the fox, BUT I've been looking at doing an IRS swap so that would keep the track width the same with 99 spindles for rim choices. I want to go with Foose Nitrous wheels.

Also I've been looking for about 2 months for an IRS in Texas I can go SEE and pick up. I was about a week too late for one for sale in Houston. I'm getting tired of waiting for an IRS that becomes available.

Oh, and the master cylinder is in really good shape, but I can't be sure that it's a cobra part. I didn't even think of that. I'm sure that it would be as easy as a stamp of "Cobra" on the unit??

IMHO the 93 Cobra Booster is the best choice, the Studs have the same pattern and Thread Pitch as the Stock Booster.

Those seem kinda hard to come by...

So then a 94-95 booster with a cobra MC wouldn't work?

i justy don't knwo where i can get a cobra booster and MC for a good price. I want to run 13" rotors and cobra front brakes on my fox and keep the stock drums in the rear (until funds will allow :()

Yup, Cobra fronts.

If i had to do it over again, i'd prob go '93 Cobra stuff....not because of the pedal feel, but ease of installation

Where exactly would you find '93 Cobra parts? They seem really hard to come by considering it's only one year. I'm just kinda getting tired of waiting for parts to become available or hunting for the perfect set up.

I'm thinking of abadoning the IRS set up since I havent seen one for sale close by for pick up. Only problem with that is I'm getting wheels that will fit the entire wheel well, meaning I couldn't go with an IRS later cuz it would push the wheel out 3//4" - 1 1/2" which would look horrible. I guess I could go with spacers and the live axle set up knowing that I would be going IRS in the future, but you know how plans go. And I wouldn't want to run spacers forever.

What wheels do you want to run?

I have 1994-1995 spindles up front, but Sn95 track in the rear that pushes each wheel out 3/4"

I want to put an IRS as well, but i want to run 9" wheels.

SO i've been debating putting SN95 9" wide bullitts or FR500's up front, and S197-offset bullitts or fr500's in the rear since they have a deeper offset.

Just waiting to see if anyone has tried this first in the rear and how it fits.

What wheels do you want to run?

I have 1994-1995 spindles up front, but Sn95 track in the rear that pushes each wheel out 3/4"

I want to put an IRS as well, but i want to run 9" wheels.

SO i've been debating putting SN95 9" wide bullitts or FR500's up front, and S197-offset bullitts or fr500's in the rear since they have a deeper offset.

Just waiting to see if anyone has tried this first in the rear and how it fits.

I'm looking at going with Foose Nitrous wheels. They're a pretty cool variation on the bullet/cragar style wheels I think. I like to run the biggest wheel I could in the back but they only offer 8.5" and 10" rears. I'm sure the 10" is too large to stuff back there.

And that backspacing stuff is real foggy in my head as to how it actually works. I'm mean I've read up on it and know the basics, but it's not translating into real life for me. I'm afraid they won't fit perfectly and I'm gonna be pissed after spending close to $3000 after 5lug swap, IRS, wheels and tires and installation because I have no where to do the work myself (apartment renter).

I was hoping to fit 18 x 8.5s in the front and 18 x 10s in the rear. All this with 96-2004 spindles and 99+ discs and PBRs up front and an IRS in the back or a temporary live axle 5lug/spacer combo (so they look right until I get an IRS in there).

In any case they offer the following in 5x4.5 lug patterns:

18" x 8.5" wheels:
+34mm Offset
+13mm Offset, 5 1/4" backspace
-6mm Offset, 4 1/2" backspace

18" x 10" wheels:
-6mm Offset, 5 1/4" backspace
+38mm Offset
+38mm Offset, 7.0" backspace

It would really help if I knew the actual dimensions of the IRS (from disc to disc) so I could figure out what size wheels to order. I had seen a blown up spec sheet online once but can't find it now.

Well, that offset is very similar to the S197 offset wheel.

The S197 18x10" bullitt wheel is +45mm offset and 7.27" of BS.

I don't know the width of the IRS but i'd imagine it's similar to the 99=04 rear axle with is 1.5" wider EACH SIDE than the standard Fox rear axle. You might want to go to the SVT forum and ask how the IRS compares to a 99+ axle.

Where exactly would you find '93 Cobra parts? They seem really hard to come by considering it's only one year. I'm just kinda getting tired of waiting for parts to become available or hunting for the perfect set up.

I'm thinking of abadoning the IRS set up since I havent seen one for sale close by for pick up. Only problem with that is I'm getting wheels that will fit the entire wheel well, meaning I couldn't go with an IRS later cuz it would push the wheel out 3//4" - 1 1/2" which would look horrible. I guess I could go with spacers and the live axle set up knowing that I would be going IRS in the future, but you know how plans go. And I wouldn't want to run spacers forever.

You can get a Remanufactured 93 Cobra Booster from Autozone or any other chain store, I believe the only Company that rebuilds them is Cardone.

According to my computer all 94-95 Mustang boosters are the same. V6, GT and Cobra are the same:

POWER BRAKE BOOSTER ** 540-01102 ** 07/08/08

Mustang '94-95

It's the master cylinder that is different:

BRAKE MASTER CYL ** 541-00988 ** 07/08/08

Mustang '94 Cobra and Pace Car
Mustang '95 Cobra

and:

BRAKE MASTER CYL ** 541-00966 ** 07/08/08

Mustang '94 exc. Cobra and Pace Car
Mustang '95 exc. Cobra

BTW...I saw a photo of 03 Cobra wheels on a fox body with 03-04 IRS and they didn't stick out nearly as far as the 17X9's stuck out of my fox with the solid axle from the 99-04. Even though 03-04 Cobra wheels have +2mm offset more than Cobra R's, it's not enough to justify how much they sat in on this photo.