1994 5L Convertible 1/4 Power Window

The drivers side rear 1/4 window in my 94 Mustang Convertible 5.0 L has been very sticky going up and down. Seems like the gears are connecting cause I can help it up if I grab and pull while engaging the motor. On its own I just hear a clicking noise like it wants to go up or down but wont go. I took it apart and it appears the motor works, I think. The gear turns nicely when I push the up or down button. When I put it in place, it seems like the gears dont connect, motor to window, but I cant tell what is wrong.

Any ideas out there would be great!

• Sponsors (?)

Sorry, I was short on words when I posted that.
pull the motor out and look at the gear, you should be able to see the pucks under the gear, most times it just looks like a bunch of gunk and goop. You can buy those pucks at most local auto parts stores. They are a pain to install, I think LMR has a video on it.

You might be able to use 1/4 x20 nut instead of the nubs. Pull the motor, take it apart and get rid of the grease and now chewed up bits of nylon, fit one nut into the mechanism, pack with grease and put it back together.

I just did this with my 88 convertible, and I'm assuming Ford used the same (or very similar) motors. The windows now go up and down properly, although they still feel a little 'loose' (mabye this is how they are supposed to be?)

The nubs are there to keep fingers from being pinched, so keep your fingers clear.

That's a good point and something I hadn't considered.

I recall someone said their motor used a metal gear, but the main gear in mine where those pieces go was plastic (the worm drive gear was metal).

Now I may put the plastic pieces in mine instead. Fortunately I won't have to clean out all of the grime this time.

My windows seem 'loose' when down or up - I assume they are designed to have some front rear play to conform to the top?

Not really, look at the plastic pieces that connect the glass to bracket for the lift arms, they get loose over time. If you do replace those discs then use the aluminum rivets and borrow a bigassed rivet gun, some replacements have a plastic push pin and they don't work very well.

I just did my drivers rear on my 95 vert and my drivers door one. Had the same symptoms. When I took the motor out and reconnected the power wire, it spun and spun but when installed it needed "help", so I took it apart and sure enough found this..also from not using the rear window, it was still having a hard time going up all the way but some grease on the regulator slides fixed that issue, now they work great..

Attachments

• DSC03392.JPG
    DSC03392.JPG
    360.9 KB · Views: 194
  • Useful
Reactions: 1 user