1994 gt 5.0 intermittent engine loss

larry556

Sep 12, 2019
Ive got a 1994 gt 5.0 iv had for about 4 years now no problems really, now all of sudden at random times the engine will just cut out sometimes when its sitting idling and sometimes when im driving down the road. All power and lights are still on just the engine shuts down. sometimes it will start right back up other times i have to let it sit for about 15 mins before it will start.(Sat on the side of the road 4 times this week)

So far i have
-Checked voltage of battery and alternator that was good
-Checked fuel pressure its a solid 32 with the vacuum line on and 38 with it off and holds pressure when car shuts off
-Replaced Vacuum lines for egr (had a vacuum leak on on of the connectors)
-Replaced Ignition Control Module
-Ran injector cleaner and water remover through the tank
after that still cutting out at random , the final test i did yesterday i started it and let it run for an hour and 15 mins in my driveway while i wiggled poked and prodded every wire i could find and nothing, it didnt cut out at all.

My best guess is something in the fuel or something causing it to lose spark completely but at this point im not sure what

• Sponsors (?)

Been going thru similar with my car. Last year I found the post on the coil came off. Apparently it wasn't making good contact intermittently. Took me forever to find it. So I put a new coil on. Not even a year later same problem. Found this Wednesday.
20190911_133808.jpg

I had already changed the distributor thinking it was the PIP. Been running ok since Wednesday but I'm waiting a while to consider it fixed. So check the coil if you are losing fire!

Reactions: 1 user
Been going thru similar with my car. Last year I found the post on the coil came off. Apparently it wasn't making good contact intermittently. Took me forever to find it. So I put a new coil on. Not even a year later same problem. Found this Wednesday.
20190911_133808.jpg

I had already changed the distributor thinking it was the PIP. Been running ok since Wednesday but I'm waiting a while to consider it fixed. So check the coil if you are losing fire!

Dang Just ordered a new distributor before i saw this , but my coil appears to be in one piece , the tip of mine isnt broken off or anything

TBH that's a bit of an unusual failure. The distributor pickup is more likely and common. The coil is always suspect with ignition issues, but usually doesn't start working perfectly as soon as the car cools off, which the PIP tends to do.

Two failures sound like Chinese quality control unfortunately @Wayne Waldrep - was the first one the same brand? I've had great luck with the yellow Accel TFI "super" coil, a huge improvement over the MSD Blaster TFI I used to have and better than most chinesium I've had from the local parts store.

Reactions: 1 user
TBH that's a bit of an unusual failure. The distributor pickup is more likely and common. The coil is always suspect with ignition issues, but usually doesn't start working perfectly as soon as the car cools off, which the PIP tends to do.

Two failures sound like Chinese quality control unfortunately @Wayne Waldrep - was the first one the same brand? I've had great luck with the yellow Accel TFI "super" coil, a huge improvement over the MSD Blaster TFI I used to have and better than most chinesium I've had from the local parts store.
Yea my coil was one of the first things i checked, checked again just to be sure. I opted to just order a new distributor rather than fiddling with the old one taking it apart i dont have a hydraulic press or puller to get the gear off. Should be here sometime this week hopefully

Well it has been a week since i put the new distributor in and i have not had a problem, i believe the problem is solved, the car even feels more responsive now and i no longer have a popping and stuttering noises in the exaust when letting off the gas (gonna be sad to put it in the garage for the winter but it runs great now)

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 2 users