1994 GT - Do I need a tune?

Let me start by saying that I am new to forums in general. I hope that I am posting correctly. If not please educate me as I want to do it right.

There with that said let me get to it. I have a 1994 Automatic (I know) GT Convertible with 24k original miles. We have owned the car since new. It was the genesis for the love of cars for me. I am not looking to make it something it is not but just get the most out of it with little change. I like the fact that it is fairly stock minus a few bolt-ons. In fact I am keeping all the original parts in case I decide going back to "fully" stock is something I want to do. Below is the list of what I have done or will be doing once the frozen tundra leaves my area. (South Dakota)
  1. American Thunder exhaust and cat delete from stock headers back.
  2. BBK Offroad X-Pipe
  3. BBK CAI
  4. BBK 70mm Throttle body
I really do not plan on doing much more to the car. However, do these mods require me to get a tune or would you recommend it? If so, what should I get?

Thank you in advance and apologies for the long post but I wanted to make sure I get enough information out there.

• Sponsors (?)

Let me start by saying that I am new to forums in general. I hope that I am posting correctly. If not please educate me as I want to do it right.

There with that said let me get to it. I have a 1994 Automatic (I know) GT Convertible with 24k original miles. We have owned the car since new. It was the genesis for the love of cars for me. I am not looking to make it something it is not but just get the most out of it with little change. I like the fact that it is fairly stock minus a few bolt-ons. In fact I am keeping all the original parts in case I decide going back to "fully" stock is something I want to do. Below is the list of what I have done or will be doing once the frozen tundra leaves my area. (South Dakota)
  1. American Thunder exhaust and cat delete from stock headers back.
  2. BBK Offroad X-Pipe
  3. BBK CAI
  4. BBK 70mm Throttle body
I really do not plan on doing much more to the car. However, do these mods require me to get a tune or would you recommend it? If so, what should I get?

Thank you in advance and apologies for the long post but I wanted to make sure I get enough information out there.

I would skip step 3 and just put a K&N filter in the stock airbox, and remove the silencer... pulls air from inside the fender well just like a CAI would do, but keep the stock look. Mine came with a CAI, but fortunately it had the stock airbox in trunk, so I'm putting that on with a K&N in it. Really don't see how one would out flow the other this way.

and I think a 70mm TB is over kill with the stock intake, I would go 65mm.. Also heard/read the BBK's whistle, I bought an AcuFab 65mm for mine.

But no, you wont need a tune...

Reactions: 1 users
No tune required for what you want to do.

Skip the Cold Air kit and throttle body.

Instead I would do headers, H or X pipe and 2.5 Inch cat back.

I'm my 94's I've probably had about 7-8 exhaust systems since 1994. To date the best have been MAC Long Tubes, MAC Prochamber and MAC cat back (I've had this setup in two sizes).

Just drop a K&N filter in the stock air box. If you want to upgrade this in the future I'd get a larger Mass Air Meter and Throttle Body at the same time.

Reactions: 1 user
You really don't need a tune till you change things like cam and heads. If you're buying a throttle body then just go with a 75mm. You can't have too big of a TB so if you're gonna buy one, might as well buy the biggest they make for a 94/95. The stock one will be fine for what you currently have though.

I'm with VibrantredGT, the mac long tubes and prochamber is a great combo to have. Just add your muffler of choice for some good sound. Personally I like anything dynomax makes. Everyone has their own favorites though.

You listed some things you may do or have done to the car. So what parts are currently on it now?

I think you can have a TB that is too big. What about the opening in the intake? On the stock 5.0 intake it is 68mm. Even a 70mm TB would give you a step unless you ported the opening. Like Kendawg says, I agree, 65mm is good for your application. My 92 has a 65mm Explorer TB. Granted I'm boosted but that 65mm TB aint holding me back according to the dyno.

You really don't need a tune till you change things like cam and heads. If you're buying a throttle body then just go with a 75mm. You can't have too big of a TB so if you're gonna buy one, might as well buy the biggest they make for a 94/95. The stock one will be fine for what you currently have though.

I'm with VibrantredGT, the mac long tubes and prochamber is a great combo to have. Just add your muffler of choice for some good sound. Personally I like anything dynomax makes. Everyone has their own favorites though.

You listed some things you may do or have done to the car. So what parts are currently on it now?

I have already done the exhaust and xPipe. I have the CAI and Throttle Body. I have not installed those yet. Too cold where I am.

I think you can have a TB that is too big. What about the opening in the intake? On the stock 5.0 intake it is 68mm. Even a 70mm TB would give you a step unless you ported the opening. Like Kendawg says, I agree, 65mm is good for your application. My 92 has a 65mm Explorer TB. Granted I'm boosted but that 65mm TB aint holding me back according to the dyno.

I believe you can have a TB that people would consider too big, but it won't actually hurt your power output. I'm not saying the OP should sell his 70mm and buy a 75, but if he hasn't bought either then I'd recommend going bigger. I've seen LS dyno tests where the positive step in TB to intake opening is greater than 10mm with no effect on power. I ran a 75mm on a rock stock explorer intake and didn't have but one issue.
I have already done the exhaust and xPipe. I have the CAI and Throttle Body. I have not installed those yet. Too cold where I am.

Ok gotcha.

No tune required for those mods but a tune is never a bad idea for a performance gain. If you're looking for power on the cheap, bump the timing up a few degrees. If you're just trying to make her a bit louder, your mods should do the trick with no tune required. I like the k&n in the stock gutted box idea also. Cold fender air is free, cai's are not.

My opinion is a mild gear change, best thing I ever did to my car, some fox convertibles have a 3:25 (3:27? Can't remember) and even a 3:55 will make it feel more powerful. Skip the bigger tb and do the LT headers and exhaust, stock box and a k&n filter

My opinion is a mild gear change, best thing I ever did to my car, some fox convertibles have a 3:25 (3:27? Can't remember) and even a 3:55 will make it feel more powerful. Skip the bigger tb and do the LT headers and exhaust, stock box and a k&n filter

2.73's standard and what most came with

3.08's were optional on 5-spd
3.27's were optional on AODs