1994 Gt Smoking. Need New Ecu?

Stangboi

Sep 24, 2015
Hey guys first post so bear with me. Have a 94 GT with about 180xxx miles. the guy before me abused it pretty badly. It smokes and runs rough the guy said it was bad injectors. We've replace the injectors, PIP in the distribute, distribute and wires, idle air control motor and both coolant sensors. pulled a plug, it was fine just black. running really rich. Took it out for a drive after, drove for a while stalled it turning around to go back home and it wouldn't turn over. for about 2 mins after it wouldn't even click when i turned the key, like the battery was completely dead. then after a few minutes it cranked but wouldn't turn over at all. had it towed to a shop, they run there tests and said they think I have a bad ecu. they said the car thinks the engine is 32 degrees when it starts up and is just dumping fuel. so before i got a new one wanted to ask if you guys think that will solve the issues. It running rough and not cranking after it was warmed up. ive never been able to pull codes the check engine light comes on very rarely. and the airbag light is always on. I have the old blinking obd1 scanner, but tbh that thing confuses me and when i plug it in the thing will just have one clear pitch, no beeps just continues. any input would be awesome.

• Sponsors (?)

Hey guys first post so bear with me. Have a 94 GT with about 180xxx miles. the guy before me abused it pretty badly. It smokes and runs rough the guy said it was bad injectors. We've replace the injectors, PIP in the distribute, distribute and wires, idle air control motor and both coolant sensors. pulled a plug, it was fine just black. running really rich. Took it out for a drive after, drove for a while stalled it turning around to go back home and it wouldn't turn over. for about 2 mins after it wouldn't even click when i turned the key, like the battery was completely dead. then after a few minutes it cranked but wouldn't turn over at all. had it towed to a shop, they run there tests and said they think I have a bad ecu. they said the car thinks the engine is 32 degrees when it starts up and is just dumping fuel. so before i got a new one wanted to ask if you guys think that will solve the issues. It running rough and not cranking after it was warmed up. ive never been able to pull codes the check engine light comes on very rarely. and the airbag light is always on. I have the old blinking obd1 scanner, but tbh that thing confuses me and when i plug it in the thing will just have one clear pitch, no beeps just continues. any input would be awesome.
Welcome to StangNet! I would repost this in the 79-95 tech section, you will see more traffic on your post and get quite a bit of response from the folks that are regulars there. Best of luck!

Welcome to StangNet! I would repost this in the 79-95 tech section, you will see more traffic on your post and get quite a bit of response from the folks that are regulars there. Best of luck!
Thanks, I figured that out right after I posted this :p is it possible to delete this one?

If the ecu is showing 32*f all the time, test the ect sensor (engine coolant temperature) with the key on engine off probe the two wires on the sensor. I will try to find the chart for you but at 90* you should see about 2.6v start the car and let it get up to temperature, retake the measurement it should now show .6v... if it does not the the ect sensor is bad and needs replaced. It will cause the car to run very rich if it is bad. Best of luck to you.