Electrical 1994 Headlight/foglight Issue, Where Do I Start?

UmmYeahOk

Feb 23, 2003
Dallas
I always leave my fog switch in the on position. I rarely drive at night, so I never really noticed a problem until I drove with my lights on during a dark overcast day. My left blinker indicator on my gauge cluster was lit. At first it was intermittent, but not like a turn signal should be. Now it's solid. I assumed my headlight was out, so I pulled over at an auto part store. I played around with my brights and blinker. With the blinker, the current would alternate between the signal bulb and the headlight, dimming each other. Of course, now the signal doesn't even work when the headlight is on. When I played with the brights, the high beam would turn on, but be considerably dimmer than the passenger side, which made me think it was the bulb. When I replaced the bulb, it worked, for a second. When I tried my brights, it never returned and the headlight remained off, or possible too dim to notice, as it looked off in the daytime, but dim at night.

Weeks later I figured that maybe I have a short somewhere and it's draining the power to the lamp, so I turned my fog light switch off, thinking that would give it more power. Only... ...the fog lights both remain on, but dim. They are getting power somewhere, even though the switch is off. I looked at the wiring diagram here, but it doesn't make any sense to me. Could there be two separate unrelated issues, or just one I'm not seeing?

https://www.google.com/search?q=1994...-yV0KUOXQIM%3A

I pulled the fog lamp relay, so logically, there shouldn't be any power going to the bulbs with the switch off and relay out, but it's still the same. Both bulbs light up dim, and the drivers side, the side with the headlamp issue, is so dim, you can barely tell its on during the night.

• Sponsors (?)