1994 Mustang COBRA - speedometer not working

HI Guys,
My car is 1994 Indy Cobra (5.0/Manuel)
My problem:
My speedometer stopped working (I bought the car like that).
I bought the “Odometer Gear Repair Kit 1994-1998”, and after opening the dash, I checked the gear and everything looks just fine. No tooth was broken and nothing looks like a problem.
Then I installed new “sensor speed”. While replacing I checked the gear and it look bran new. No tooth is broken.
It’s a low mileage car. around 30,000
What should I do next? Any suggestion what to check and can be the problem.
Thanks for your help
Meir

• Sponsors (?)

HI Guys,
My problem:
I bought the “Odometer Gear Repair Kit 1994-1998”, and after opening the dash, I checked the gear and everything looks just fine. No tooth was broken and nothing looks like a problem.
Then I installed new “sensor speed”. While replacing I checked the gear and it look bran new. No tooth is broken.
Thanks for your help
Meir
With the speedo out, drive the car and see if the inner speedo cable is turning.It will tell you which direction the problem is.

Did you look inside the trans to verify the drive gear is in position and has not slipped off to thr side?

Failure of the clip that holds the drive gear in place is common

There is no cable, and the gears on the back of the instrument cluster have nothing to do with the speedo not working. Those gears only do the odometer and trip meter. The gear on the speed sensor is the driven gear. Look inside the transmission to make sure the drive gear has all of it's teeth. That usually isn't the problem. It's possible the wire has gone bad, but usually the speedo has just gone bad. You have to find a used one. I've gone through about 2 of them over the years.

Kurt

Hi Kurt,
just to be clear, both Speedo and trip meter don't work. does that mean I have 2 problems or its one problem serve two items.
when i took out the sensor, the gear was complete and almost look like new, nothing left in the transmission.
the wires looked good as well.
any idea/direction to follow?

If the speedo doesn't work, then the trip meter won't work. The speedo sends the signal to the motor that drives the tripmeter. My speedo isn't working consistently right now either. I think I am on my 3rd one. They just go bad every once in awhile.

Kurt

Also consider a wiring issue in the harness that goes to the trans. That harness connector is on the upper firewall. just past the passenger valve cover, it goes over towards the brake booster and then down to the tranny. When I installed my speedcal I had to splice into those wires.

HI Guys,
My problem:
Thanks for your help
Meir
I pulled the instrument cluster off and looked at the circuits on the back. You’ll notice where the wires clip in, on the right side of the back of the panel, the circuits run down toward the speedometer. If the circuit is broken you need to replace that housing. I’ve circled it in red. Once I swapped out housing speedometer worked.

Attachments

• 385CCE4D-3141-40AC-9653-BE744DEC2E75.jpeg
    385CCE4D-3141-40AC-9653-BE744DEC2E75.jpeg
    408.9 KB · Views: 208