1994 Steeda Mustang GT woes and pains! in need of help!

Warshark

May 31, 2018
San Antonio,TX
Hello to all my new friends here on stangnet! This is my first post and log on with this forum so please bare with me! I have a beautiful 1994 Mustang GT 5.0 that has been made to look like the Steedas. Anyways! There has been a lot of mods to this car so far I will list the upgrades at the end of the post. My issue with this freaking car is it will intermittently run horribly including missing, running rough, bad gas mileage, backfires! It seems better in the cold weather and does not do it as much. But in the heat it happens almost all the time! I can go out to her start her up and she runs horrible and sometimes not. As well i can be cruising down the highway for miles when all of the sudden BAM she starts the same issue again. I am at my wits end as to what may be causing my issue and how to test for it and verify. I have tested the MAF, TPS, IAC all the way back to the computer itself everything is showing correct voltage range and grounds. The PCM does seem to get pretty hot though after it runs for a while. Here are most of the upgrades that has been done to my car so far.
Bama 4 bank eliminator with 3 customer tunes chip;high pressure oil pump, pick up tube, NGK spark plugs gapped at .55; Ford racing spark plug wires, MSD ignition coil, MSD distributor, cap and rotor; hurst shifter, ECT sensor; 3 core sr performance aluminum radiator, head gaskets, BBK 225lph fuel pump, BBK fuel pump regulator, trick flow twisted wedge heads, BBK throttle body, trick flow intake manifold, spout connecter, MAF pigtail, BBK long tube headers to X-pipe then dumps, 4:11 gears, cold air intake. starter, clutch, thermostat, water pump, head studs, Ford E303 roller cam and roller rockers, Inector locking clips, intake manifold spacer, BBK MAF sensor, IAT sensor, new Bosch injectors. Timing is set to 14* at 850rpm. Thank you and sorry for the long post !

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds to me like a problem with your tune. I have never had good luck with bama and o had almost the same issue with my 94. The first thing I would do is pull the ecu out of the car, passenger kick panel, and clean the contacts where the chip plugs in. There are tons of videos on how to prepare a computer for the chip and if they are not prepared correctly they will have problems where the car goes from the bama tune to the stock tune and back and forth when it sees connection. I would clean each contact point with a little bit of rubbing alcohol on a q-tip trying not to hit more than one contact at a time. I would also try to clean the contacts inside the bama chip with something just make sure not to get anything stuck in there. The contacts on your computer should all be copper colored if I remember correctly. Make sure they were all sanded far enough.

Hello, I Removed the computer and I can some copper towards the ends of the pins and silver towards the board, do I need to removed all of the "silver" from them? I tired a q tip but nothing more is coming off. Thank you for your insight!

You should see just copper. From what I remember the silver doesn't conduct well at all. I would go though and get all of the silver that you can see off. You'll have to take the silver stuff off with sandpaper. When I did it for my quarterhorse I took 120 grit and got all of the silver off in probably a minute then wiped all of the dust off with a dry cloth and then hit all of the pins with rubbing alcohol on a q tip.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello! So I removed the computer and there was still some silver on the underside of the pcm. I have cleaned all that off and it seems to be running butter but it still intermittently runs bad, as if out of time. Popping, hesiststion, lack or power then the next second bam full power again