1994 Trans swap Manual 2 auto, Motor wont crank

rustangdav

Oct 6, 2008
Detroit
I have a 1994 Mustang auto, and a 1995 Mustang manual, bouth 5.0. I did the trans swaps on the Manual Stang. Now the auto is in, pedels, comp, trans cables in, swaped trans harness,and I cant get the motor to crank ? Tryed turning the key in cranking mode, and moved the shifter to see if shift cable was off, or if it would start in nuteral. Nothing

On the 1994 auto the harness does have the two clips for the clutch pedel netural safty switch, there were just taped off to the side.

Can anyone help
Dave

• Sponsors (?)

Dave, you had 3 connectors to mate after you swapped in the pedals? I think I recall there being 3 (two on the clutch pedal and one above the gas pedal).

All fuses are good?

I would find the CSS pigtail if you can. Test for 12 volts into it while cranking. Put the car in neutral and apply the emergency brake!, close the CSS switch, and check for 12 volts egressing it. If that fails, disco' the switch and look for near zero resistance across the switch with the switch closed. If you pass the in/out test, check for the signal reaching the starter relay in the underhood fusebox.

I suppose that if you had to, you could run a new wire from the output of the CSS to the relay coil of the starter relay.

Otherwise, be sure the starter itself is connected properly. To test that wiring from the starter relay towards the starter, put the car in neutral and apply the emergency brake!. Then you can jump terminals 30 and 87 on the starter relay. With the key off, the car will crank but not start. If it still wont crank, the issue is from the starter relay to the starter itself.

Random thoughts. Good luck.

Well theres only the two plugs off to the left. Theres not one on top of the gas pedel.
Bouth Mustangs ran, I just wanted the stick in my 1994 conv. Lost of work done to it. I did find the wire to the starter. I jumped it from the battery and it cranks. I got bouth cars on stands looking everthing over and really dont see anything wrong. The 1994 still tooken apart so I can compair the two. maybe jumping the harness ? I really dont see why, cause the auto has the harnesses, just not used when the auto was in.
Thanks Dave

Pressed for time right now. In case this helps, Check out the second picture here. That's how mine looked (3 connectors got plugged in when I did the swap). The red arrow is right on top of the connector that goes to the switch on the quadrant.

Thanks for the pics. Ya ,thats the brake switch. You said gas. Now thinking about it when I was pulling out the clutch pedal, I recall seeing the quad was rubing on wires at the top. Giong to check that out and see what the out come well be. Again thanks for pics. I'll let you know in a few days. The auto car is out side and its raining.
Dave

Thanks for the pics. Ya ,thats the brake switch. You said gas. Now thinking about it when I was pulling out the clutch pedal, I recall seeing the quad was rubing on wires at the top. Giong to check that out and see what the out come well be. Again thanks for pics. I'll let you know in a few days. The auto car is out side and its raining.
Dave

I got confused here. Just to be sure we're on the same page: The arrow was supposed to point to the brake switch but the arrow itself was drawn on top of the grey connector for that 3rd clutch switch (that's on the quadrant).

O.K. That plug is there. I seen that. The actule Auto car has a male jumper clip that plugs into the gray female plug. I did pull it out, and did installed it into the car that I put the auto in now. I didnt get anything. However I will reinstall again tomarow, and test It again.

I worked on Mustang for a long time, and out of all the broken bolt, busted nuckles, Its allways the little stupied things like this that really piss me off the most. At least now that Im older I stoped throwing wrenches. lol
Really, thanks alot for your help.
Dave

Any update on this? It certainly seems like the CSS is the likely culprit. If that checks out good, let me know and I can forward you some Ford wiring diagrams and / or pinpoint tests that can walk you thorugh it with a pretty thorough sequence of things to check.

PS - 1000th post!!!:D Only took 7 years...