1994 v6 mustang Home Garage (redneck) Modded Need Help From Tech. gurus

spacecowboy888

Founding Member
Apr 9, 2002
Montana
Howdy. I have a 1994 3.8 mustang that I play around with a bit when I have some spare cash. This is the first EFI equipped car that I have attempted to mod, as my only previous project was a '67 289. The only mods I have done thus far are a MAC off-road H pipe (thank god for my state and it's lack of emissions regulation) Mac cat(less) back exaust, filters, cold-air, B+M shift Kit, a Morana Racing Cam (duration int. 284 224 ex. 284 224 Lift lobe .300I .300E Valve .519 I .519 E Cent. Int 110 Ex. 110, I can post the full specs if it would be helpful) stiffer spring, lifters, rocker arms, and a diablosport chip which I had made before all the mods. I've recently sold a crotch-rocket after my love of 2 wheels had expired, and I have some spare cash (for once in my life). The stang always felt like an uncompleted project, because the damn thing is still running poorly. After a slow, painful ECU death and subsequent replacement, and a broken timing chain, I've pulled the diablosport chip, along with installing larger fuel injectors (although I can't remember the size, I'd have to look it up, suffice to say that they're larger than stock). I have little experience with tuning EFI, but I borrowed my friends code scanner to see what exactly my little "check engine" problem was, and it turns out she's running rich on both banks (duh). I also live in a very high altitude area (right on the continental divide) and I've noticed that the car has started hesitating heavily (or missing T.T I can't tell, it pulled a cute missing cylinder 4 trick before the ECU died). My question is, where to go from here? Have the diablosport chip changed? Buy a re-flasher for the ECU? Buy a new chip with my mods under consideration? I live in Montana, and there are really no shops in the state that have the resources to dyno and tune my car as far as I can tell, and I have done all the mods to my car in my ranch's shop. I also feel the need for a new torque convertor or gears, although I don't know which would help the low-end kick more, because it's pretty peaky as it's set up now....no power under 4000 rpm, but that sweet spot is glorious. Also, I seem to remember a post or f.a.q. describing how to port/polish and shorten the runners on a 3.8 mustangs intake, does anyone have that link?

• Sponsors (?)

it sounds like you may need to back off of the mods to the top of the engine. the 6er cant hande too big of a cam before you start losing power in the low end. bigger exhaust does not always mean better. you do need some[/] back preassure. since you have some money, i would say, rods, pistons, pistons and a supercharger. otherwise you need to get rods and pistons to get the compression ratio back up.