1995 GT Manual wont move in reverse

Buzzie

Aug 10, 2017
Something is wrong with my 95 GT. It drives fine in 1st - 5th gear and no problems going forward but now when i put it in reverse to back up its acing like something is stopping it and kills the car. It started off once acting like something was dragging and barely was able to get it to reverse but now it wont at all. Goes into gear just fine too. It feels like the e brake is engaged but its not and moves forward with no issues so im baffled. Someone please give me some insight or help.

• Sponsors (?)

It could actually be your e-brake dragging (which is actually your caliper piston dragging) - sometimes mine will pop going into reverse while forward is fine. Jack the car up and see if you can rotate the rear tires easily (reversing) by hand. That could help eliminate an issue with the differential as well. Otherwise not much left to check other than the transmission or u-joints (which could be binding). I'd pull the driveshaft to figure out which one if needed.

It could actually be your e-brake dragging (which is actually your caliper piston dragging) - sometimes mine will pop going into reverse while forward is fine. Jack the car up and see if you can rotate the rear tires easily (reversing) by hand. That could help eliminate an issue with the differential as well. Otherwise not much left to check other than the transmission or u-joints (which could be binding). I'd pull the driveshaft to figure out which one if needed.
I just found out the issue an hour ago, thought it would take longer. My front brake pad was metal on metal to the rotor and jammed when in reverse. Thank you though.