1995 gt stutter @ hard acceleration

95Smurf302

Jul 16, 2018
Texas
Hey guys...new here....95 mustang gt 302..B303 cam...catless hpipe no o2 censors..bbk intake...billet Dist..accel coil 8mm plug wires..bought the car like this....when i mash the go pedal it stutters or misses for half a second or so. If i roll into it it doesnt do it. The tps was @1.0 volts closed. I know this is slightly high. I am putting a new one on tomorrow...also changing the plugs. Timing was @ 16* at idle..2500rpm was @30*. Is there anything else i should look at?. Was thinking about going back to stock plug wires and stock coil. Should i go back to a stock distributor as well. Any help where I should look to get this stutter gone will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

I'd have to guess with your configuration (mild cam, no 02 sensors, aftermarket intake) you're possibly running a tune? If so it might need adjustment ('accelerator pump' settings not giving you enough fuel when you stab it from a stop). If you're not running a tune, you might think about running one.

In either case with no O2 sensors, your computer does no adaptive learning and can make no fuel trim adjustments so your tune is guess-work for specific conditions. This is ok for a race car, this is not going to be a good solution for a street car that has good driveability.

Minimally, to start, check your fuel pressure, make sure your fuel filter's been changed. I would not throw ignition / electronic parts at this as I don't think it will help.

Was your timing at idle checked with the spout connector removed? If so, 16 may be a little high. If not, 16 is too low. The factory specification is 10btdc at idle with the spout removed, some folks bump up to up to 14, but 16's a bit much. I've usually experienced hesitation like you describe with timing too low, but again my instinct is telling me you have a fuel problem.

Personally, if it were my car, the first thing I'd be doing is getting the O2's operational again for street use.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
You know, I was having similar issues and something as simple as an maf cleaning is what fixed it on the running heavy part, your problem seems too complicated to have the pleasure of being so simple. Yet you shouldn't overlook it, it is a huge part of the air/fuel ratio in your car.

It raised my throttle response through the roof and the chugging stutters I got when hitting the gas the fun way disappeared all together.