1995 mustang gt 5.0

sn955.0

Jan 30, 2019
bonney lake wa
so i am going to be doing the head gasket on my car here soon and I've always wanted to put a mild cam in it but i don't have the money do to the supporting mods. so #1 should I have my stock heads machined and put in New valve guides / seats etc, or should I try and find a set of already rebuilt heads. i found these and im not so sure what to think of them http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335821607&icep_item=372581430995
i am familiar with engine work and what not, just not very much with the specs and what works good with what. i want the most reliable power i can get. is there anything I could do that would get me close to 300 rwhp in this process ? right now the car is almost completely stock. has a rebuilt t5, new timing chain, 8.8mm plug wires, bassani o/r x, smog pump delete, still has egr. that's about it. i really dont know what route to go but i need the car to be up and running soon cause the car in driving right now is already limping. feedback greatly appreciated,
thankyou!

• Sponsors(?)

deathb4dismount

Crap, didn’t realize my crotch was in that picture
5 Year Member
Oct 6, 2011
THE BUCKET
You would need a full h/c/i and supporting mods to get 300 whp on 302. I would pass on those heads. A mild cam will do nothing on stock heads, and for a street car might not perform the way you want even with upgraded heads.

sn955.0

Jan 30, 2019
bonney lake wa
General karthief what i meant by "limping" was that my other car is already not running good and is on its last legs , struggling to keep it running.

hrspwrjunkie

Dec 15, 2004
www.classicsandperformance.com
Quite frankly, on a 5.0, the cam is the last thing you want to touch.

If you want reliable mods, Ford Racing put together a solid package of mods for the car back when it was new-ish.

The cam was never touched and it's also something Ford Racing doesn't recommend doing in an otherwise stock engine — heck, even on the "GT-40 package" they devised for the car.

I can tell you if drivability is a concern for you, then you'll be happiest if you steer clear of the cam.

You'll have to find an old Ford Racing catalog from around that time period for the details on the package they developed. And if memory serves, there was a Motor Trend article on a '94 or '95 with the Ford Racing mods for performance comparison.

Otherwise, if the engine is in solid shape, a completely engineered supercharger kit is the all around easiest route to go on a stock car — although you are adding boost, so you need to be aware that it doesn't come without pitfalls such as blown head gaskets and more.

If you need the GT up and running soon, however, I would avoid any mods altogether. They almost always require some "extra engineering."