1995 Mustang GT Ignition Switch/Ignition Lock Problem

KGB

Aug 17, 2006
I am a new owner of a Mustang GT. I was driving it around for a couple of months, the car didnt have any major problems during this time period.

However, 2 days ago I drowe in to work, and when I was shutting the car off it didnt turn off. The key turned just fine, but the car remained on, with engine still running. The key cylinder provided no resistance at all whenever I was turining it to the off position.

Therefore, I assumed that it was a problem with the key cylinder. Yesturday my friend and I bought a new ignition cylinder and replaced the old one. However, after duing that the car still started just fine but did not shut off.

Next, we progressed to taking the ignition switch out and examined it. The switch was in normal condition, but the plastic piece that controls the switch was sliding to the start position and the ignition position, but was not sliding back to the off position.

So after further examination, we found that the plastic piece that connects to the key cylinder was moving properly but it was not connected to the plastic piece that controls the ignition swithch. The problem is right next to the universal joint on the steering shaft between the shaft that goes to the steerign wheel, and the shaft that goes further down.

Can anyone suggest an easy fix to this problem?

• Sponsors (?)

Same issue happened to me

Hello i have a 95 gt that had the same problem. Happened two weeks ago and i am curious on how to fix it. I am thinking of going to a mechanic this week to have them check it out. That only Makes me worry ($$).

You guys are in the same position that I was with my six banger a few months ago... The problem is a horrible one. My Brother and myself couldn't fix it, so I ended up bringing it to a shop after about five months of using my ignition switch to start my car.

It's a problem that GM's have more than Ford, in fact, it was the first time any of the mechanics have seen the problem on a Ford.

There's a rod/plastic piece with teeth that is used to push and pull the ignition switch, and something most likely went wrong with it. You have to pull the steering wheel off, and dismantle the whole steering column...

Something that I ended up paying over $300 for. :(

After I got it fixed though, I was much happier to use my key once again to start the car.

same thing happen to me. i fixed it myself

i removed the lower dash trim on the drivers side

removed the upper two bolts under the dash that hold the steering colum up. backed the lower two allmost all the way out but did not remove them.

removed the two TQ bolts on either side of the colum right near where the colum enters the dash.

after that i put the wheel all the way down using the tilt and then held the tilt lever so that i could push it down a little further giving me enough clearence to get in there and work

same thing happen to me.

Folks,

I'm struggling with the same problem - can start the car but not shut it off (1995 GT Convertible).

I've removed the plastic and metal plates under the column, removed the two front nuts and loosened the two rear ones that hold the column up.

Still not sure how to get to the broken part. Can anyone provide photos or contact me at 941-730-3246 to help me fix this?

Or do I just need to take it to my mechanic and shell out $300?

Thanks!

Mike E

holy necro, side note, when this happened to mine it was easier to get the whole steeringwheel assembly from another car because we didn't have any idea how to fix the damn thing

Reactions: 1 user