1995 Spindles Vs 2001 5 Lug

tacomatrx450f

May 24, 2009
Hey guys, so i got my hands on some spindles for a 5 lug conversion for my fox mustang, but can someone tell me the difference? the only thing i can see wheres there's differences is on the steering ball joint locations. any info would be great thanks.

IMAG1496_zps2406453a.jpg
IMAG1496_zps2406453a.jpg

IMAG1496_zps2406453a.jpg.html

• Sponsors (?)

The one on the left is a 94-95, the one on the right is a 96+ designed to accomodate the lower rack mounting of the mod-motor cars. There are other very slight differences but that's the big one. You don't want to mix & match them on the same car.

so a 96+ wouldnt be a good choice for a fox mustang? the 96+ is allows for dual piston calipers, but the 95 you would have to grind off a bit right? how do each type effect the power steering?

the 96+ also push the wheels out more than the 94/95, can be a problem unless you have the right offset wheels. the only brake compatibility issue is with running the 99+ twin-piston pbrs on the 94/95 spindles, a little grinding on the spindle will take care of it. cobra calipers dont have this problem, just the v6/gt stuff.

As MFE said, you definitely don't want to use two different spindles.

A little bit a reading why you should not use the 96+ spindles without an aftermarket MM k-member:

"Do not install a 1996-04 spindle on a 1979-93 or 1994-95 Mustang fitted with a stock-geometry k-member!
Doing so will significantly increase bumpsteerbecause...
  • The steering arm on the 1996-04 spindle is about 1.02" (26mm) lower (relative to the rest of the spindle) than the steering arm of any 1979-95 spindle.
  • The lower steering arm forces the outer tie-rod end to a lower position.
  • That new position is far too low for the steering rack location of any 1979-95 Mustang, and radically changes the steering geometry.
  • It is impossible to correct the geometry with a bumpsteer kit because the outer tie-rod end needs to be raised so much that it would have to occupy the same physical space as the steering arm."
Source: Maximum Motorsports