1996 Mustang GT motor and upgrade question

rob1

Mar 18, 2004
Indiana
I just bought me a 1996 Mustang GT with automatic transmission and it has 62000 miles. I gave $6900 for it with the body and interior in great condition and brand new tires on the stock wheels. I was wondering how long these cars usually last without costly rebuilds. Also, what type of engine and drivetrain work is needed to keep them running in top shape? I just orderded Flowmaster exhaust and new brake pads. My planned mods are 17x9 wheels, BBK chrome cold air intake, BBk throttle body, and a new alpine stereo system. Are their any better choices and any other good upgrades and upkeep things that may be helpful? I searched the boards and didn't find definite answers and this is my first mustang. I previously drove a cavalier so I want this thing to look and sound awesome. By the way I plan on finishing the upgrades by late spring so if their are maintenance needs I would appreciate it now.
Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

The only real concern is the plastic intake. It is known to crack however you will not be able to get ford to replace it for free bucause of the year of your car and the fact that that they won't replace it until it cracks. I put a thread up a long time ago and someone had scaned a copy of the recall letter.

I have about 85K on my motor with no problems and the intake did not crack. There was a recall on the park brake system as well for 96 cars that I just had done no big deal. It was just for some plate with too small rivits. If you want power start saving for some PI heads or a 99+ motor.

Welcome to the board. You can go well over 100,000 miles without having to rebuild the motor. Make sure when you hit 100k on it that you get new timing belts.

Some good bolt ons are:
Long tubes $350+, Off Road H/X pipe $120+, Steeda timing adjust $189+ etc.. Those are the only ones that I can think of this morning.

A gear and a kick A.. trans with a shift kit will make your car really move. If you got with a nice built trans you'll want to get a stall converter. Get like a 2800 stall.

GoBabyVroommm said:
Welcome to the board. You can go well over 100,000 miles without having to rebuild the motor. Make sure when you hit 100k on it that you get new timing belts.

These cars don't have timing belts. I'm assuming you're talking about getting a new drive belt at 100k miles. :scratch:

Back to the original question, I don't think you have anything to worry about as far as longevity goes. Think of how many Crown Vic police vehicles or taxis you see on the road, and both of those are probably driven pretty dang hard. Just keep your fluids changed and do all the routine maintence like you would on any car and you should be fine.

Ok guys, you gotta understand that I'm completely new to mustangs. I picked out Flowmaster american thunder exhaust and want an off road pipe and need some info on getting it set up. Personally, I want it loud but without a lot of popping and whining. If you guys could suggest a good pipe it would be great. Also, is the American Thunder system good or should I get a different set of mufflers and seperate pipes? I was told at the muffler shop that you need new oxygen sensors, is this true? If so, what kind and what kind of price? Also, they said it would be about $200 to hook up the off-road pipe and flowmasters. Is that good? Help me to get what else I need please. Oh, emissions are kind of open here in Indiana so the sky is the limit.
Thanks

Welcome Aboard Rob! I to have a 96 Mustang GT and I plan on getting
over 100K miles out of this stang or selling it and getting another stang.
Also only paying 6900 with only 62K miles in my opnion is a super deal
with that low of mileage.Also the silent recall on the 96-97 intake
manifolds is only on some of the vin numbers.Let the wallet bleeding
begin for Rob.

The type of pipe you should get depends on what kinda of sound you are looking for? If you want a deep sound then go for an off road h pipe(eaither BBK or MAC) If you want a higher pitched sound then for for an off road X pipe(Dr Gas X is the best but BBK is good too). The Mac Prochamber is probably the best sounding but provides very little performance. Check out mustangexhaust.com and you can listen to some of the combos.

BBK or MAC check the partshopper here(probably best and you get 5% off cause your a 4.6 member)
Dr Gas X you have to go to there site...just go to google.com and search for Dr Gas X and you'll get it.

Can I use my stock headers with this set up or do they need replaced to? I reall didn't want to get to in depth on the motor yet. If it is a good idea then I will. If I stick with the stock headers with the X-pipe still hook up? Also, do I really need new Oxygen sensors to hook up and run new exhaust? What kind of extra parts do I need besides the exhaust itself? Please help me out so I can finish ordering my parts.
Thanks

Any of the above will bolt right up to your stock manifolds....Since you want to get an offroad set up you will need something MIL's they will prevent your check engine light from displaying. Longtube Headers are awsome but expensive...for now i would say just get the midpipe. If you have some cash then get headers.

i also have a 96gt auto and just put on full bbk exhaust, new tune length bbk headers and off road x-pipe! i have over 100,000 miles and pulling hard 96 are bomb bay ass rides love them........ have fun with it man

Okay, sorry about my stupidity but what is a good oxygen sensor for this set up or what do I need to keep from seeing the check engine light? If I get the long tube headers also, will they bolt up and can I get it done when they hook up my exhaust? This car is my baby and I want it looking good before summer. I've got my eyes set on some 280M Motorsport Cobra R rims with BF Goodrich tires but I want to get it sounding and running perfect first. Is there anything important that hasn't been mentioned that needs addressed while I'm upgrading? You guys have been a ton of help.
Thanks

you do not need new O2 sensors when you do the off road pipe. But you will need MIL eliminators for the rear O2 sensors because when you go from six cats to zero cats your computer freaks out and through a code making you check engine light to come on. So when you get the O/R pip and I would go for H-pipe if it was me get the MIL eliminators at the same time.

What makes the 1999+ motors better?

I too have just purchased a 1996 4.6 and want more power. Another 50hp at the rear wheels would be a nice start.
What did Ford change to make more power in 1999 and up?
I come from a long long Camaro background (don't hold it against me - I like all performance vehicles) and am not scared to modify an engine.

If you want power start saving for some PI heads or a 99+ motor.[/QUOTE]

mg15 said:
I too have just purchased a 1996 4.6 and want more power. Another 50hp at the rear wheels would be a nice start.
What did Ford change to make more power in 1999 and up?
I come from a long long Camaro background (don't hold it against me - I like all performance vehicles) and am not scared to modify an engine.

If you want power start saving for some PI heads or a 99+ motor.
[/QUOTE]
the heads and intake are big differneces, get the PI heads like he said and LT's, midpipe, catback, and a blower and :flame: all your old camaro buddies :nice:

Okay, I'm with you now. You have to understand this is my first V8. I'm used to messing with 4 bangers. Now my next question and hopefully my last. With the X pipe, and Flowmaster exhaust won't I still have to rut cats? The shops won't install exhaust without them correct? Also, the car will run fine without eliminators but will have check engine light on correct? Just want to be sure.

rob1 said:
Okay, I'm with you now. You have to understand this is my first V8. I'm used to messing with 4 bangers. Now my next question and hopefully my last. With the X pipe, and Flowmaster exhaust won't I still have to rut cats? The shops won't install exhaust without them correct? Also, the car will run fine without eliminators but will have check engine light on correct? Just want to be sure.

You will get the check engine light only if you run without cats, I installed my own exhaust system and could not tell you if a shop would or wouldn't install off-road X-pipe. Sure it will run fine but who wants and look at that light all the time and you won't get a warning if something else is wrong

the shop will put them on for you! just say its for track use only lol! thats what i did and they really dont care its all about money to them! my x-pipe cost only 55 dollars to put on anyway! and no you dont need cats