1996 Mustang

• Sponsors (?)

Hi, Sure you can. Someone else has done it, so why not you?
Best idea, monetarily & to learn is You need to find a 96’ -98’ Mustang GT Parts Car at a Boneyard to get ALL your Parts & at a reasonable Cost. The 96’ GT it has the 4.6L SOHC Modular Motor, you need a working T-45 5 Speed Tranny (T-5 is 95’ & earlier, but the Shifter & Pod cover is the same), the entire Pedal assembly, Cable, Brackets and Driveshaft, Crossmember, Clutch Fork, look in the Wiring diagrams to install the Clutch safety switch (to disable Starter unless Clutch is depressed), you need the connector(s) for the Reverse Light (Cut all the Wire you can & leave the electrical Plugs in the Tranny for re-Connections into the Wiring Harness, later). You need the Grommet that goes through the Firewall
for the Clutch Cable, and the Speedo/Cable sender so it reads MPH correctly, you can adjust the Speedo with a Tuner if need be..
All Mustangs equipped with this transmission use an 10.5" clutch. The T45 shares many attributes with the T56, so it is a strong transmission (Stronger than a T-5). Its weak link is the 10-spline input shaft which limits power handling. 1996-98 Mustang GT T45 transmissions had an 8-tooth speedometer sensor drive gear.
With Used Parts, Clutch assembly, I’d say 1,000$-1,200$ Cost. You can get any missed pieces online, this isn’t the first Auto-to T45 swap in a 96’ Mustang, so Parts are available.
Go online and find a good view of both the Auto & Manual Tranny’s setups. Make a Drawing & list of everything you need (including Flywheel, Clutch, Pilot Bearing). Then, find your donor Car (Maybe you’ll get lucky & the poor guy totalled it a week after installing a new Clutch/Flywheel, lol!) and use some basic Psychology!
Find and make the OWNER aware of what you’re doing & you are on a shoestring budget, and willing to do this all yourself, “if you had Money- you’d have someone else do it”-jokingly! Once they see you have at it, you’ll gain their respect... There’s always ONE Jerk.
Manager will
likely get a Guy to help you & give you a hand & a decent deal. Get everything out from up top first, then Talk the Guys you Hypnotized at the Boneyard into lifting the Car up & setting it up on some sturdy Cars, get all your Parts out, underneath, mostly yourself- if possible (Some Insurances at boneyards don’t allow this, but play it cool & you’ll do just fine) then you’ll
understand things better, when putting it back together in your Car. Take a LOT of Pictures BEFORE you get it out, top & bottom, and during disassembly. Keep all Bolts and Hardware.If in doubt-take extra Parts!
Enlist a friend to help, bring your own Tools, full 3/8’ and 1/2” Socket set (Shallow/Deepwell Sockets) with a few extensions and universals, and Screwdrivers/Prybar...You don’t need 500$ of Tools, biggest issue is unbolting the Tranny- get the Bolts up top you can get while it’s still on the ground, they are heavier than a T-5, not as heavy as an Automatic. Leave a Bolt in until you’re ready to lower it, don’t bend the Input Shaft....Torches will make quick work of Exhaust, etc... Make sure your Exhaust will clear, or you may want that. Too. Especially if it’s an X Pipe or with Cats, Stainless.
I went on Craigslist and found a couple GT’s you could use for Parts for 2,500$ and 1,500$. Look around. Lots are getting rid of projects with no Garages- Winters coming..
Good idea is to get a view of a buddy’s 96-98’ 5 Speed, alongside your Auto’ 96. Or ask someone to take Pics of their 5 Speed GT.
I’m not trying to spook you, it’s easy once you get a plan and start doing it. it’ll go just fine. Like a Map- look at one piece at a time...
If it’s too much $$ or whatever, you can install (or program) your Automatic to easily Chirp Gears, shift harder- or add a higher Stall Converter. Still not the same as abManual Trans.
See what you can find, any questions- you’re at the right place. Good luck!
Cheers!! J

Hi, Sure you can. Someone else has done it, so why not you?
Best idea, monetarily & to learn is You need to find a 96’ -98’ Mustang GT Parts Car at a Boneyard to get ALL your Parts & at a reasonable Cost. The 96’ GT it has the 4.6L SOHC Modular Motor, you need a working T-45 5 Speed Tranny (T-5 is 95’ & earlier, but the Shifter & Pod cover is the same), the entire Pedal assembly, Cable, Brackets and Driveshaft, Crossmember, Clutch Fork, look in the Wiring diagrams to install the Clutch safety switch (to disable Starter unless Clutch is depressed), you need the connector(s) for the Reverse Light (Cut all the Wire you can & leave the electrical Plugs in the Tranny for re-Connections into the Wiring Harness, later). You need the Grommet that goes through the Firewall
for the Clutch Cable, and the Speedo/Cable sender so it reads MPH correctly, you can adjust the Speedo with a Tuner if need be..
All Mustangs equipped with this transmission use an 10.5" clutch. The T45 shares many attributes with the T56, so it is a strong transmission (Stronger than a T-5). Its weak link is the 10-spline input shaft which limits power handling. 1996-98 Mustang GT T45 transmissions had an 8-tooth speedometer sensor drive gear.
With Used Parts, Clutch assembly, I’d say 1,000$-1,200$ Cost. You can get any missed pieces online, this isn’t the first Auto-to T45 swap in a 96’ Mustang, so Parts are available.
Go online and find a good view of both the Auto & Manual Tranny’s setups. Make a Drawing & list of everything you need (including Flywheel, Clutch, Pilot Bearing). Then, find your donor Car (Maybe you’ll get lucky & the poor guy totalled it a week after installing a new Clutch/Flywheel, lol!) and use some basic Psychology!
Find and make the OWNER aware of what you’re doing & you are on a shoestring budget, and willing to do this all yourself, “if you had Money- you’d have someone else do it”-jokingly! Once they see you have at it, you’ll gain their respect... There’s always ONE Jerk.
Manager will
likely get a Guy to help you & give you a hand & a decent deal. Get everything out from up top first, then Talk the Guys you Hypnotized at the Boneyard into lifting the Car up & setting it up on some sturdy Cars, get all your Parts out, underneath, mostly yourself- if possible (Some Insurances at boneyards don’t allow this, but play it cool & you’ll do just fine) then you’ll
understand things better, when putting it back together in your Car. Take a LOT of Pictures BEFORE you get it out, top & bottom, and during disassembly. Keep all Bolts and Hardware.If in doubt-take extra Parts!
Enlist a friend to help, bring your own Tools, full 3/8’ and 1/2” Socket set (Shallow/Deepwell Sockets) with a few extensions and universals, and Screwdrivers/Prybar...You don’t need 500$ of Tools, biggest issue is unbolting the Tranny- get the Bolts up top you can get while it’s still on the ground, they are heavier than a T-5, not as heavy as an Automatic. Leave a Bolt in until you’re ready to lower it, don’t bend the Input Shaft....Torches will make quick work of Exhaust, etc... Make sure your Exhaust will clear, or you may want that. Too. Especially if it’s an X Pipe or with Cats, Stainless.
I went on Craigslist and found a couple GT’s you could use for Parts for 2,500$ and 1,500$. Look around. Lots are getting rid of projects with no Garages- Winters coming..
Good idea is to get a view of a buddy’s 96-98’ 5 Speed, alongside your Auto’ 96. Or ask someone to take Pics of their 5 Speed GT.
I’m not trying to spook you, it’s easy once you get a plan and start doing it. it’ll go just fine. Like a Map- look at one piece at a time...
If it’s too much $$ or whatever, you can install (or program) your Automatic to easily Chirp Gears, shift harder- or add a higher Stall Converter. Still not the same as abManual Trans.
See what you can find, any questions- you’re at the right place. Good luck!
Cheers!! J

Do know anything about the 1996 crown Vic or Grand Marquis because that's what I want to trans swap. I know that they use the same engine but I don't know if I would still work

Yes, same 4.6L SOHC Modular Motor- a few minor differences, and a restrictive airbox, Vs the Mustang. Easy to overcome.This site has a wealth of information on the Crown Vic, Auto. to T-45 Swap. Check it out.
https://www.crownvic.net/drock96marquis/5speed.htm
Only surefire things are Death and Taxes. But, yes- it has been done, you can do it, too. All you need is Drive, Patience & resources... did I mention patience?
Good luck!

Do know anything about the 1996 crown Vic or Grand Marquis because that's what I want to trans swap. I know that they use the same engine but I don't know if I would still work
The 1996-1998 model year Mustang uses a VSS transmission sensor. The VSS sensor is driven by a worm gear on the tailshaft.

The 1999-2004 uses a OSS sensor. The OSS sensor is a non contact sensor similar to the ABS tone rings.

The output of the OSS and VSS sensors are NOT compatible to each other. The wiring is different. The type of sensor used needs to match what the PCM is expecting.

If I were doing the swap I would:
  • make sure the replacement transmission is as close as possible to the car's original model year.
  • Save both transmission should some unexpected parts need to swapped. Some examples I can think of are DTR sensor and tail shaft.
  • Compare both transmission side by side. Verify that both are the same length and have the same electrical connections.
As far as Mustang to Panther (Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, or Town Car) differences are concerned, I believe that some model years have the DTR range sensor reversed. However, I have read that it can be reversed or swapped.

Here's some information that may help with the understanding between the different type of transmission speed sensors.

T-45 Tail Shaft Swap
https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/4-6l-tech/140694-t-45-tail-shaft-swap.html

Last edited: